VMware Cloud Community
Leafy911
Expert
Expert

ESXi HP iLO Server Name change

Hello All

I recently recycled one of our old HP servers and installed ESXi update 2 on it.

The problem is that when you make an iLO connection to this server, the iLO reports the previous server name.

Does anyone know how to change/update this?

I've tried to ssh to the iLO, but couldn't see anywhere to change the value.

It is a DL380 G4 with iLO f/w 1.92

Regards

Leafy911

(Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

Regards Leafy911 (Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

After logging into iLO, go to the Administration Tab, then the Network link under "Settings". You will see an iLO Subsystem Name... Did you change that?

0 Kudos
Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Just access to your server iLO's IP then go to Administration tab then select Network, check the name you've in iLO 2 Subsystem Name.

If you've setting from DHCP check out your DNS setting for this IP.

NOTE: This is Online using http, you can reboot your server and press F8 during boot to access iLO configuration also.

You always can open the server and reset the iLO using iLO Override Jumper (just check your server cover).

Hope it helps,

Goodspeed

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Leafy911
Expert
Expert

Hi guys

The iLO Subsystem Name is already configured correctly. I'm not using DHCP and DNS is setup correctly.

I tried console access and there were no settings relating to my issue to change. I used a HP ISO build, so there shouldn't be any drivers missing?

Any other thoughts?

Regards

Leafy911

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

click on the Administration Tab, go to Access, then the Options tab. What do you have listed by Server Name:

0 Kudos
Leafy911
Expert
Expert

Hello

All the configurable items are correct as far as I know. I read once that the iLO picks up the name from the OS automatically, but I don't know how it does this. The menu item you asked me to look at does not exist, it is an iLO ver 1. See attached

Regards

Leafy911

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I don't have a server handy to reboot, and I don't know if it's the same in the rack mounts as it is in the blades, but if you can reboot, go into the BIOS, there may be an option for Server Asset Text---Server Info Text. Check that.

Leafy911
Expert
Expert

Sounds like a good idea, I'll try that soon Smiley Happy

Regards

Leafy911

0 Kudos
Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The Blades server sync their names with enclosure OA.

Try to Enable the iLo Override Switch or try to download a firmware to your iLO even if it has the same version!

Regards,

Goodspeed

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
Leafy911
Expert
Expert

I don't have a server handy to reboot, and I don't know if it's the same in the rack mounts as it is in the blades, but if you can reboot, go into the BIOS, there may be an option for Server Asset Text---Server Info Text. Check that.

I tried this but unfortunately it didn't work. I had already done a firmware update and so I knew that wouldn't work. I suspect that if I reset the iLO via the motherboard then the servername would be reset to nothing which doesn't really solve my issue, but does look better.

I conducted a little research and the answer is below:

Regards

Leafy911

0 Kudos
OscarSys
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I found on this. Hope it helps...

iLO 2 supports multiple methods to set the server name, including host RBSU, browser, command-line, and XML/RIBCL scripting. I recommend first updating to current iLO 2 firmware for the best results.

As far as setting the server name:

- host RBSU

- iLO 2 via browser (Administration/Access/Options)

- command-line

A) login to the iLO CLP using SSH

B) </>hpiLO-> cd system1

C) </system1>hpiLO-> set oemhp_server_name = TestValue

D) </system1>hpiLO-> show oemhp_server_name

/system1

Properties

oemhp_server_name=TestValue

Verbs

cd version exit show set

- XML:

<RIBCL version="2.21">

<LOGIN USER_LOGIN="Administrator" PASSWORD="password">

<SERVER_INFO MODE="write" >

<SERVER_NAME VALUE = "NewValue" />

</SERVER_INFO>

</LOGIN>

</RIBCL>

0 Kudos
rwilderman
Contributor
Contributor

Click on the "Server Name:" label in the overview.   It is not underlined but it is a link that will take you to the Access settings.

Under Access Options, change the Server name about 2/3 down, and make sure to hit apply.