VMware Cloud Community
artieman
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 Install Issue

Server is an HP ML350 G5 with dual xeon e5405 and 12gb of ram. Raid controller is an HP p400. Server is brand new from HP only 1 week old with latest firmware/bios. Server is on the HCL along with the HP p400 raid card.

The issue im having during install is my logical volume is not showing up to install to. Instead at the select a disk screen I get Disk0 VMware device block 512.0 B and Disk1 VMware device block 512.0 B

How do I get it to see the raid array for instead?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Hi ArtieMan - Welcome to the community,

You need to boot your HP server using the CD you got with it and use the ACU to configure your raid config etc, before you can install ESX. (You can also get to the Drive configuration from one of the Bios booy prompts . . the one for the P400 - From memory, I think you'll need to hit F8)

the ESX does not know how you want the disks configured.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
artieman
Contributor
Contributor

I already configred the raid array. Its a raid 5 array with 6 500gb drives.

Found out anything over 2tb esxi doesnt see. Drop ove drive out of the raid array and made it a hot spare and its gave me 1.8tb and esxi was happy and installed.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Artie - this is a config max

2TB - 512 b is the max you'll see . . and this will only work when you have a blocksize of 8MB.

It's probably worth splitting your disks up into smaller arrays to make sure you can actually use all the available space with your ESX.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos