VMware Cloud Community
gamed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.0 free version: Licence?

Hello,

I have some questions about ESXi 4.0 free version and free vSphere client.

I have installed ESXi 4.0 on a temporary server and the vSphere client on a temporary PC for testing-purposes.

Now I want to want to install ESXi 4.0 free version on another server and vSphere (free version) on other client PCs. Do I need an additional free licence for this, or can I use my old free licence?

On how many clients can I install the free version of vSphere? I want to manage one free ESXi 4.0 Server with more than one client PC.

Is the number of VMs limitated? We need about 15 VMs.

Does the free version of ESXi 4.0 and free version of vSphere support the following server withot any constraints?

Fujitsu Siemens, Primergy TX300 S4

Intel Xenon Quad Core CPU x64

16GB RAM

HDDs: FSC RAID 5/6 SAS based on LSI MegaRAID

I know that this server type is supported by ESXi 4.0, but I don't know whether there are any limitations with the free version of ESXi 4.0 and vSphere.

regards

Robert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you can use the same license for upto 3 installation

you can have instant 15 connection from vSphere client at a time

no nedd to buy vSphere client ,it is free

max of 120 VM/s you can have in ESXi in HA Cluster

double check the hardware compatibility

regards

manic

Regards Manic

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

In the Past, we had VI3 which was a package of Server (ESX or ESXi 3.x) and vCenter Server 2.x

Now the next generation is vSphere, Its actually the name of package which contain ESX/ESXi 4.0 and vCenter server 4.0

When You talking about Free ESXi, its just for standalone host(s) and you can download and use it freely from VMware website from this link.

the vSphere client is the free tools for management and you can use it to connect to ESX/ESXi or vCenter.

So if you buy vSphere package or use the free ESXi, in both situation you can use vSphere Client.

Spec of your server seems to be ok and work fine with ESXi, but for being sure check it on HCL.

You can use ESXi free for 15 or more VM, but it depend on workload of your VMs Smiley Wink

And about number of hosts, according to download page of ESXi (which you will get your license key also):

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

>This license key can be deployed on an unlimited number of physical hosts, but is restricted to deployment on less than or equal to 25 Physical Servers. Click here to Change

And by the way, you have to get license for ESXi 4.0, the ESXi 3.0 license wouldn't work here.

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

http://www.kasraeian.com

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you can have instant 15 connection from vSphere client at a time

no nedd to buy vSphere client ,it is free

max of 120 VM/s you can have in ESXi in HA Cluster

double check the hardware compatibility

regards

manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos
gamed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answers

0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

there was a typo error

please find the corrected answer

vsphere client is free

120 max no of VM's

Regards Manic
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, rManic

Same license from esxi 3 or esxi 4? because AFAIK, ESXi needs its own license (25 characters key)

max of 1120 VM/s you can have in ESXi in HA Cluster

He want to use free ESXi, so there would be no vCenter so there would be no cluster either.

Also according to VMware vSphere 4.0 - Configuration Max:

Max VM per Host is 320. (page 5)

Max VM per HA Cluster is 1280. (Page 7)

Max VM per Host in HA Cluster is 100 (Page 7)

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

http://www.kasraeian.com

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
rManic
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

appreciate ur understanding on this...big thks >>Manic

Regards Manic
0 Kudos