VMware Cloud Community
ladymixy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.0 and requisite Licenses

Looking for some answers here ... not having lots of success looking around the site. Called and left a message for someone at VMWARE last week, no response yet. Filled out info form earlier this week, no response yet ...

We're a very small nonprofit, and I just got two new really nice Dell servers in. We've been using Win2003 host OS with Microsoft Virtual Server, and in the past six months have converted some of our hosts over to the VMWARE Server 2.0. Now that I've got two systems that could handle ESXi, I'd like very much to use it. I had heard that ESXi was now free ...

So I downloaded my free version of ESXi 4.0, got it installed in a jiffy, super easy, wonderful. Was expecting a browser-based management console similar to VMWARE Server 2x, but instead it just prompted to download and install the vSphere Client. Installed the client, and created myself some new guest OS's in lickety split fashion, superfast. Loving it.

But vSphere Client says I'm using an Evaluation copy and each time I open it up, I get this: "Your evaluation copy will expire within X days! When your evaluation license expires, ESX host may stop managing all virtual machines in its inventory In order to manage these machines you must upgrade your ESX host license." (emphasis added by me ... "may" is not the same as "will")

Can anyone here tell me the scoop? Can I use ESXi 4.0 at all without also purchasing vSphere Client? Or management center ...? I didn't budget for extras, spent it all on the hardware. So if ESXi is "free" but useless without extra licensing, then I'm going to have to go back to the Windows Server host plus VMWare Server 2.x scenario that I've been doing. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to get the straight story.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you should update your count, where you registered for the download of ESXi. It can be between 1 - 999. This will allow you to use the same key per the EULA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the vSphere4 client is free. Also, when you registered for the download of ESXi, you should have been emailed a key. That key needs to be installed on your ESXi system, which will then take it out of evaluation mode.

Do do so, go to your Configuration Tab, licensed features.

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can log in to download ESXi again. Your license number will be displayed towards the top of the page.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
ladymixy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is progress ... thank you. I was expecting a license key the first time 'round, but based on the first response here I went back to re-read it. It only says click here to "activate evaluation" then takes me to a page with more downloads.

So I am currently in the middle of re-downloading.

Thanks! This is definitely helpful ... much appreciated! (Thrilled I may not have to go back to my boss to as for more money, mostly. We are planning to do more with it next fiscal year, but for right now I have to work with what I've got.)

0 Kudos
ladymixy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you thank you thank you! All set to go now, license key entered. Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You shouldn't need to re download or reinstall. Just grab the license and enter it in the vShere client Configuration Tab / Licensed Features. Click edit (upper right) and enter your license.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I type slower than you do.

Have a look at Veeam Monitor Free as a nice tool to help you manage.

0 Kudos
ladymixy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm baaaack ... part two of basically the same question ....

So now I want to set up a second server with ESXi 4.0. Can I re-use the same license key, or should I request a new one somehow? If request another, then how? I tried to go into the "licensing" area here, but it's only for paid products ...

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is my understanding since it is the free key you can reuse it -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you should update your count, where you registered for the download of ESXi. It can be between 1 - 999. This will allow you to use the same key per the EULA

0 Kudos
ladymixy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You see, blind and impatient are two qualities that make for a message board newbie like me ...

Based on Troy's response, I went back to the Activation Registration email, clicked the link, hunted and hunted and hunted, and now I see, it's under "Terms and Conditions" as to how many servers. There's a link for "click here to change," so I can change the number.

As it turns out, I did specify 2 when originally downloaded, so I think I'm good.

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos