VMware Cloud Community
kopecek
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5U3 on HP DL320 G5p with RAID (Intel 82801IR )

Hi all,

I just buyed this server with 1 Quad Core CPU,8G RAM and 2x500G SATA HDD. When I enable SATA, ESXi instalation didn't complete - no disks found. When I disable it, everything is fine. But I need to run RAID1 for a security reason, so I have a problem....

Searched HCL, google, I found that Intel 82801IR seems not be supported by ESXi 3.5U3. Is any way to make RAID working under ESXi? Manual driver instalation, etc. ?

I don't want to use Vmware Server 2.0, because I need to run several virtual machines and Server 2.0 is not good solution if you have more virtuals due to performance losts.

Thanks for any help...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You can check the www.vm-help.com web site to see if anyone has gottent it to work - the only thing is find a supported raid controller on the HCL and install that

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kopecek
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but not helpfull for me. There is no help on vm-help.com Still seems to be no way to make RAID controler working. Only when RAID is disabled in BIOS. But I need RAID. It seems I need to use Vmware Server 2.0 on Linux platform to make my virtuals beeing protected before HDD failures. Big disappointment for me...

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You can always aquire a RAID card that is on the HCL and install into your server -

0 Kudos