VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 3.5, vSpere client and Windows 7 64 bit

I need to manage 2 ESXi servers:

• an ESXi 3.5 server
  • an ESXi 4.1 server

From a Windows XP client or a Windows 7 32 bit PC I start installing the VMware Infrastructiore Client from ESXi 3.5 and then I install vSpere client from the ESXi 4.1 server and everything works fine: from my vSpere client I can manage either the ESXi 3.5 and the ESXi 4.1 servers.

I performed the same steps from a Windows 7 64 bit PC and I can manage the ESXi 3.5 server but I cannot access the console of the guest VMs.

What client shound I install to manage either the ESXi 3.5 and the ESXi 4.1 servers and access the console of the VMs?

Regards

marius

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you can check compatibility of VI Client in guide attached.

Good luck

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the pointer.

I suspect I misposed my question, so let me try to formulate it again:

• given a Windows 7 64bit PC, what client or clients should I install to manage either an ESXi 3.5 and an ESXi 4.1 server?
  • where can I locate such client or clients in order to download them?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

To manage a version of ESX(i) you will need a corresponding client. So you will need both the VI 2.5 client and the vSphere 4.1 client. The launcher will decide which client to load based on the host it connects to.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the answer.

So you will need both the VI 2.5 client and the vSphere 4.1 client

Are they both available for Windows 7 64 bit ?

Where can I download the right and up-to-date versions?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

If you see the previous doc you will notice that 2.5 client is not supported on Windows 7.

One simple solution could be use XP mode for this client.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I made some further tests starting from scratch on a Windows 7 64 bit client (installed from scratch).

First, I downloaded from my ESXi 3.5.0 server the VMware Infrastructure Client 2.5 and I installed it.

It is installed as a 32bit application and it works fine. I can manage VMs and open the console of any VM.

Second, I downloaded from my ESXi 4.1 server the VMware vSpere Client 4.1.0 and installed it.

At this point if I click on the VMware vSpere Client and I attempt to connect to the ESXi 3.5.0 server it works fine, but if I try to access the console of any VM I get a white window with no option to manage the VM.

If I connect to the ESXi 4.1 server and try to open the console of any VM it works fine.

• Shoud I specitfy any parameter while installing any of the two clients?
  • Should I enter any parameter while launching any of the two clients?
  • Should I install any 64 bit specific version?

Is there any other action to make the 2 clients work on the same Windows 7 64 bit client?

By the way, I have either a Windows XP 32 bit and a Windows 7 32 bit boxes with both clients installed and working...

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
irbk
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same issue.  If I just install the 3.5 client, I can connect to the console of the systems on the 3.5 server fine.  When I install the client so I can manage the 4.1 server, I can then connect to the console on the 4.1 servers but can no longer connect to the console on the 3.5 servers.  It's something to do with either 64 bit or windows 7 (because it works fine on a 32 bit Windows XP).

0 Kudos