VMware Cloud Community
danhandy
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 unmanageable.

The GUI on the box has disappeared, CLI is not responding to any commands, however the hosts are still up. I need to manage the hosts does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Daniel

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

What GUI? You means the basic console interface?

Are you able to connect to the server in any way? Console, VIClient, RCLI, PowerCLI? Is the management interface still responding to ICMP? How about the VMs, up and running?

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You cannot connect through your viclient to your esxi?

Have you restared your esxi?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
danhandy
Contributor
Contributor

Update: When i login to the server through the Infrastructure client, it says all the hosts are invalid.

0 Kudos
danhandy
Contributor
Contributor

I can ping the box, and I can remote into the VM hosts via remote desktop.

Yes I mean basic console interface.

Thanks for you help.

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

How about the RCLI, can you use that?

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
danhandy
Contributor
Contributor

What GUI? You means the basic console interface?

Yes.

Are you able to connect to the server in any way? Console, VIClient, RCLI, PowerCLI?

can not connect via Console, we can connect via VIClient, however all hosts are invalid and are unmanageable

Is the management interface still responding to ICMP? How about the VMs, up and running?

mangment does respond to pings, so do the hosts. The VM's are up.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

0 Kudos
danhandy
Contributor
Contributor

I have never used RCLI, i will download it and try to connect.

Thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

So you are able to access your ESX server (also commonly referred to as ESX Host) with the VI client but virtual machines (what you are calling hosts) are inaccessable - is this correct? If this is what is going on - where are your Virtual Machines stored? If it is some sort of SAN storage then you are having problems communicating to your SAN

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
danhandy
Contributor
Contributor

I can access the ESX server via VI client only, virtual machines are 'invalid' I can still connect to the VM's via remote desktop. Server 2003 and server 2008 servers are stored on a Dell MD300. ESX is stored internally.

The problem first arose when we where unable to connect to a handful of ESX boxes via the infrastructure client, we restarted the management hosts via the basic console interface and this solved this problem on all boxes apart from xxxxxx

xxxxxx's basic console interface disappeared and a CLI window appeared, at first we could enter privileged mode but as soon as we tried to submit a command it locked up and became completely unmanageable.

The server was then restated this morning, but is still completely unmanageable, when accessing the server via Infrastructure Client all the hosts appear as ‘invalid' and are unmanageable.

Hope this makes sence,

Thanks

0 Kudos