VMware Cloud Community
JesterJeff69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 3.5 on HP xw8200 professional workstation

Ok so I just bought one of these from ebay.

I just saw the post someone had with the link to search... i didnt see that model in the supported list. But I have wanted one of these machines for a while....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your best bet may be to get ESX installed on VMware Workstation. You must enable VT within the BIOS though.

Maybe this .pdf will be useful

If your CPU does not support VT, then you may have not be successful, however you may want to take a look at . Dave has some useful information on setting up a whitebox.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your best bet may be to get ESX installed on VMware Workstation. You must enable VT within the BIOS though.

Maybe this .pdf will be useful

If your CPU does not support VT, then you may have not be successful, however you may want to take a look at . Dave has some useful information on setting up a whitebox.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think that the xw8200 has an ICH5 chipset, so you might be able to get it to see the disks.

Not sure about the nic though.

You could always get an Adaptec (sometimes HP/Dell branded) 2610SA SATA RAID controller. They go for $70-$100 on ebay.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
JesterJeff69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Troy,

Well I did get ESX installed... but ended up that im not going to use it (was testing the trial as esxi is free) but neither will do what I want.... need serial and usb support.... oh yeah also sound.... is a biggie...without those 3 I have to scrap the idea of installing ESX(x) on this machine....

also yeah my bios doesnt show vt as my cpu doesnt support it...

Jase,

yeah I was able to get it to install.... not sure why it wouldnt earlier.. but good to go now....

thanks....

0 Kudos