VMware Cloud Community
xalex75
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 and Suse Linux?

Hi.

We need a suse linux machine to manage our new phone exchanger. Instead of buying a new server, I was thinking about creating a new vm on my ESXi 3.5 server.

I don't know anything about linux and I never tried to install it...

Can someone tell me if Suse 10.3 certified and 11.1 work correctly on ESXi?

Thank you very much.

Alex

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

That should work. SLES 10 and Desktop are supported. You may need to recompile the VMwar eTools (which should be installed in every guest) so install the gcc and kernel-source package along the other packages you need.

You can use that link te check certifications: http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Further check this document: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
xalex75
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

Can you tell me if is possible to use p2v on a Suse machine?

The company that will sell us the new phone exchanger asked me to have the server for some days to configure it.

Obviously I can't give them my ESX machine... If I give them a normal desktop pc and the configure it, can I use converter to vitualize it as I did with windows machines?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Ask them to install the machine on VMware Server, which is free so they can hand out a virtual machine to you.

But you can also try the free VMware Converter Standalone. It can p2v Linux machiners, but you should try before!

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You may need to recompile the VMwar eTools (which should be installed in every guest) so install the gcc and kernel-source package along the other packages you need.

If the OP uses OpenSuSE (what I assume), on a newly installed system, the open-vm-tools will be used instead. The open-vm-tools are provided by OpenSuSE and will be precompiled/distributed to the actual kernel. Any updates for new kernels will also bring the appropriate kernel modules.

This is much easier and smoother for any kernel upgrade than compiling it's own modules every time.

0 Kudos