VMware Cloud Community
mmmike
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 U5 Network problems

Hello,

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with ESXi 3.5 in production server. It host 2 VM's of Windows server 2008 and R2. I have recently discovered network load issues between this ESXi host and other machines on my network, this discovery led me to find out that this machine NIC work on 100MB. I tried to change it to 1000MB. After the change the server crashed and didn't recognize my NIC. I had change the parameters manually from the unsupported console.

Did any of you encountered same like issue or anyone has any idea how to fix it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I've moved your post to the ESXi 3.5 forum - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vi/esxi3.5.  What sort of NIC does the 2900 have?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In addition to Dave's question about the NIC, double check the physical switch port's configuration. Also make sure the network cables are the correct ones for gigabit support and ok.

André

0 Kudos
mmmike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for the very late delay, had lots of going on the past month.

I have solved the network load issues already. I didnt configured my DNS suffix and default gateway properly - after doing so, communication between the ESXI host and other network resources became much better.

The network interface updated its speed to 1000Mbps - atleast one of them, the other is unplugged at the moment.

0 Kudos