VMware Cloud Community
Fred_Weston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 3.5 U4 licensing problem - invalid license content

I've just installed ESXi 3.5 U4 on a Dell server and an HP server. Both are currently running in evaluation mode, and I'm trying to enter the serial number I got when I registered for the free ESXi download, but I'm getting an error that says "the uploaded license content was not valid" when I select serial number under license source in the VI client and enter the provided serial number. I just created a new vmware.com account and re-registered to get a different serial number, but that one yields the same error. The webpage that gives me the serial number indicates that it should work for ESXi 3.5 U2 or later. What gives?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Go back into your account on vmware. Go into 'find serial number'. Change license type to eval, and see what serial it lists. Try that and make sure it matches what you had.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Fred,

Are you typing the serial out, or copying and pasting?

Make sure that you are not [pasting in any spaces or line breaks.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
Fred_Weston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried both ways, pasting and manually typing. Same result each way.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Go back into your account on vmware. Go into 'find serial number'. Change license type to eval, and see what serial it lists. Try that and make sure it matches what you had.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Fred_Weston
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's strange, the serial # listed on my account when I searched for it this way isn't the same as the serial # I got when I clicked through from the e-mail I got to activate my license. I tried this serial # and it worked, weird. Thanks.

0 Kudos