VMware Cloud Community
Jimi0110
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 Slow Network Performance

Hello I am hoping that someone can assist.

I have 6 Dell PowerEDGE 2950 III's all running VMWare ESXi 3.5 equipped w/dual Broadcom etXtreme II BCM5708 NIC's. All connected to a Gigabit switch.

All Windows Hosts are sufferring from horrible network performance. Oddly enough, it is only inress to the host that is sufferring the problem.

For example I can move a 500MB file from any host to a phyiscal machine on the network in about 25 seconds. Moving that same file from a physical machine to ANY of the hosts will take hours.

Cabling and phyical network issues have been ruled out. VMware tools is installed on all hosts across all ESX servers.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check out if vmtools are installed properly on all of your vms.

What kind of ethernet adapters are you using in your vms!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
rolohm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might want to look into using the utility NTttcp (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/tcp_tool.mspx ). It will test network performance without having to move files. If you have poor disk performance using file transfer is a bad method of testing the network. If NTttcp says you're ok, then I'd check disk performance.

I assume you mean "guests" when you say "hosts"?

/rolohm

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

did you check port duplex/speed settings on switch side? If this would be configured differently than ESX has, then you would experience issues like you described

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos