VMware Cloud Community
fishbat
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 3.5 Scratch File Location

Hi, I have a couple of ESXi 3.5 servers which are connected to a SAN with iSCSI.  They boot from USB and the persistent scratch space pointed to a datastore on the SAN.  We have added new storage and wish to remove the datastore that held the scratch file locations.  I created new a new location for each host on another datastore on the SAN via vcentre using exact same directory structure and then went into host > configuration > advanced settings > sctratchconfig and set the scratchconfig.configuredscratchlocation to point to the new directory on the new data store.  Rebooted hosts and find a 1GB 'uswap' file and a couple of directories 'var' and 'downloads' have appeared in each host relevant folder.  I was also able to delete the old scratch file locations.  However when I check the config options I see that the scratchconfig.configuredscratchlocation is pointing back to the old location which although the datastore exists, it is empty with no directories.  I checked the file /etc/vmware/locker.conf and this also points to the old scratch location.  This is the same for both hosts.  I also have high availability configured on the hosts and have reconfigured it and it was successful (see image), this should not happen if swap/scratch is not configured sucessfully!!  ha_configure.PNG

I have tried all I can but cannot seem to get the scratch location to show correctly.  Incidently if I try to delete the new scratch locations I get an error message which seems to indicate there are open/locked files in the folders.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies