VMware Cloud Community
sandbag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 3.5 Newbie question

I'm new to ESxi so please go easy on me. I have the visor (3.5) loaded and it's running great. I added remote NFS datastore it mounted without issue. The datastore source is a Freenas Server running the latest install (0.69). I have the NFS setup correctly so I think because the ESXi saw it and mounted it without error. But my problem is when I create a VM machine in that datastore I get an error message: Unable to access file and the Event log says: Failed to create virtual disk /vmfs/volumes/ Blah, Blah , Blah.

I see where it trying to access the Default vmfs vol, but I'm not trying to create it there......

I can browse the NFS datastore - creating and deleting files and folders so I know my permissions are set right on the NFS mount. Can someone point me in the right direction???

Thanks

Noob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TiagoAviz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sandbag,

I had the same issue. Check if your freenas server has the exported directory in it with permissions for the ESXi to write in it.

On my SLES10 exported path, I just chmod 777 folder and it worked right away.

Also, it's interesting to add the no_root_squash option onto your /etc/exports file. Don't know how freenas works, but this should help you out. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BThunderW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if you ssh into your ESXi server and 'touch /vmfs/volumes/<nfsdatastore/test' it works fine?

Cheers,

Tom

0 Kudos
sandbag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I SSH to my ESXi....(and yes, even I'm surprised that I was able to figure out that:^0 ).

after I logged in as root, at the # I typed: touch /vmfs/volumes/b53cb948-566brdfc/Test1/Test1.vmdk and I get back "No such file or directory

I did just the touch /vmfs/volumes/b53cb948-566brdfc/Test1 and I get back nothing but the prompt.

Can you be more specific???? I new so I need to be lead by the hand.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BThunderW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I SSH to my ESXi....(and yes, even I'm surprised that I was able to figure out that:^0 ).

after I logged in as root, at the # I typed: touch /vmfs/volumes/b53cb948-566brdfc/Test1/Test1.vmdk and I get back "No such file or directory

I did just the touch /vmfs/volumes/b53cb948-566brdfc/Test1 and I get back nothing but the prompt.

Can you be more specific???? I new so I need to be lead by the hand.

Thanks

The second try was correct. If you look in that folder, there should be a file called Test1 in it. If that's the case, the NFS mount is working fine. Perhaps you're not creating the hard drive image in the right folder? How big is the hard drive image you're trying to create? Will it work with a 2GB hd image?

Tom

Message was edited by: tom howarth VMware User communities Moderator: to remove the extra inline comment and reduce the size to make the post more readable

0 Kudos
TiagoAviz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sandbag,

I had the same issue. Check if your freenas server has the exported directory in it with permissions for the ESXi to write in it.

On my SLES10 exported path, I just chmod 777 folder and it worked right away.

Also, it's interesting to add the no_root_squash option onto your /etc/exports file. Don't know how freenas works, but this should help you out. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sandbag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

TiagoAviz: YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! That "chmod 777" thing worked like a "champ". Thanks again

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It is not recommended to use chmod 777 as this effectively removes any security form the file system. a much more sensible approach would be to used chomd 775

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
TiagoAviz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tom,

You're absolutely right.

I guess a chmod 775 surely would do the trick.

0 Kudos