VMware Cloud Community
krishy
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI server

How to get into the command line of ESXi 3.5 server to copy the vmx and vmdk files...?I tried from VMWARE Infrastructure client but I am getting the error stating that OS is not found....What I did is I copied my virtual machine files to my desktop and login to the client and tried to create a virtual machine..before that I upload the virtualmachine files in datastore....by right clicking the datastore and browse datastore....Would any one can help me regarding this....

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi reaallly does not have a native command line - you add one by using the RCLI - how was the virtual machine made that you want to move into your VI-3 environment? Because depending on how it was created will determine how you can bring into the environment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From www.yellow-bricks.com "Duncan Epping"

By default this isn’t possible. But there’s a way to get this working, just do the following:

1. Go to the ESXi console and press alt+F1

2. Type: unsupported

3. Enter the root password(No prompt, typing is blindly)

4. At the prompt type “vi /etc/inetd.conf”

5. Look for the line that starts with “#ssh” (you can search with pressing “/”)

6. Remove the “#” (press the “x” if the cursor is on the character)

7. Save “/etc/inetd.conf” by typing “:wq!”

8. Restart the management service “/sbin/services.sh restart”

One thing to note I would not recommend doing this on a production system as it's not supported. So use at your own risk.

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

You can use datastore browser (from VIC) to simply copy some file.

Or, as written before, you can enable the console and also SSH to use also WinSCP or FastSCP.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos