VMware Cloud Community
kristiaan_d
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI Server Update? little bit of Noob help.

Hi Everyone,

firstly i would like to appologize if this thread is in the wrong section.

Anyhow, im a bit of a beginner to VMware and have like the rest of you guys on here been stung by the Vmware ESXI 3.5 U2 issue. i have downloaded the express patch. but im a bit stuck on how to update the server with it. To be honest there is so much documentation for this system i do not know where to start.( http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pages/vi_pubs_35u2_3i_e.html )

would it be better to re-download the newer ISO that has been released and re run the setup, OR should i install the express patch?

if i should be using the patch, can someone help me out on how i apply it ? as all i have is a .zip file with no obvious means of installing it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

The easiest thing to do is to install the VI Updater software on the same machine as you have the VI Client installed (it's one of the options when you install the VI Client) and then launch that software and use it to update your ESX 3.5 U2 hosts directly. This worked perfectly for all 5 of the ESXi hosts that I had.

0 Kudos
kristiaan_d
Contributor
Contributor

hi nick,

thanks for the reply, when i looked at getting VMware Update Manager, VMwares site wanted me to purchase a licence for it. is this the case as there is no way i can get our company to sign off the cost of this software when the intial ESXi server was free. here is the link i found to the update manager software. (http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/updatemanager.html )

i know you can trial the software but once that finishes, as i say im not going to be able to get someone to sign off this cost, especially after the big messup they just made.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Just run through the install of the VI Client. When you're given an option about which components to install, make sure you select the VMware Infrastructure Update piece of the client software and then install. After the install, when you go to Start -> All Program -> VMware, you'll see an item called "VMware Infrastructure Update." Run this tool and you'll be able to check for updates against your ESXi hosts and it will walk you through downloading and installing them on each of your hosts. The update you're looking for will require an ESXi host reboot, so you'll then need to either log on to the console or the VI Client and reboot the ESXi host.

0 Kudos
kristiaan_d
Contributor
Contributor

hehehe thanks nick its amazing how blind i can be at certain times. just rerun the installer and sure enough the option was there. thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the ESXi forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos