VMware Cloud Community
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4 harddisk size questions

Hello

1. Can ESX4 storage support over 2TB harddisk size?

2. I have hardware raid installed with 2TB x2 and partition to 450GB and 490GB, can ESX4 help me auto to partition them to storage1 and storag2?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

1) no the largest datastore has to be less than 2 TB - 2 TB -512 B to be exact

2) No you will have to carve the RAID set up into partions before installing ESXi

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

What's 2 TB -512 B ?

And tried I can add the datastorage on Storage that configed in Raid controller !

Thanks !

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

2 Terabytes minus 512 bytes is the maximum extent size (LUN) that can be presented to an ESX 4 server.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

as the other poster noted - 2 TB minus 512 B - so if you are able access the smaller partitions youo sould be good to go to create a VMFS datastore -

one thing I would make sure is that all the space is partitioned before installing VMs -

0 Kudos
leiw324
Contributor
Contributor

Are you mean it can't partition VMFS format in Configuartion > Storage ?

0 Kudos