VMware Cloud Community
KiloMike
Contributor
Contributor

ESX3.5, added ESXi, now can not create VM "unable to access file" from shared NAS

This is my VMware trial run with 53 days left! Smiley Happy

I installed ESX Server 3.5 (trial) on an IBM HS20 blade, created a datastore on an EMC NAS, established the mount and an NFS Export. I then "added storage" to my vm server using the NAS. All worked well and I created two VM's locally on the blade and one on the NAS.

I then installed ESXi on a second HS20 blade and mapped to the NAS. I have since then tried to create a new VM (using VMIC ver 2.5 , not VMC) to each blade and after hitting "finish" to create, I get the error "unable to access file."

When creating the VM, VMIC shows the NAS as "Single host" access.

Troubleshooting -

The single server I created on the initial VMblade1 with NAS datastore operates normally. Permissions on the NAS have not changed. I can create a VM on the local:store of each blade server. I can navigate the NAS using the datastore browser from both servers, change files, create directories, etc. I "putty" into the NAS and based on input from this website did "chmod 775" on the /vmware folder which houses my files. I created a new datastore, mount and NFS export and cannot create a VM using that either.

Log files available on request. Thanking you all in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

So, if you remove the NAS datastore from one or the other of the two blades, does it starting working on the remaining one?

KiloMike
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, once I added the EXSi server to the mix and mapped it to the shared NAS that is when my problem started. If I remove the mapping from either of the VM servers, it does not help the situation.

0 Kudos