VMware Cloud Community
cbecerra
Contributor
Contributor

ESX server 3i cant not boot from CD rom

Hi guys:

After installing ESX server 3i, I have been frustrated trying to boot a install an OS from the CD rom.

It keeps going to Network boot. I have tried to change the settings on the BIOS with no luck. The VM

setting are set fro the CD rom to boot at power on. Any ideas?

thanks

.Cesar

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

My understanding from you post is you have trouble booting the Virtual Machine from CDROM after installing ESXi. Correct me if i am wrong.

What is the hardware we are talking about? How are you trying to install the GOS? Are we talking about installing a GOS from the physical CD/DVD ROM attached to the ESXi server?

Did you try to boot off an ISO image?

You could try boot from a Client Device, by editing the VM's property and configuring a local devices as CDROM.

Hope this helps.

-Surya

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

seems like the .iso or CD you had is corrupted or not the correct version. Please download latest .iso and mount it to your CD rom and press F2 to access your BIOS and change to boot from CD/ROm and it would be fine. Make sure use correct CD burner program like ImgBurn its free and great and it should make a bootable CD from iso. You might want to check if CD/ROM device is "connected" or "connect power on" option as well.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
joshm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have had Service Requests opened with VMware and are working the issue closely with them. We are looking for the fix in the next update from VMware.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

MOved to ESXi forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
cbecerra
Contributor
Contributor

The CD image that I'm using is ok, I tested it on another computer. My CD/DVD is also OK.

When I F2 to the BIOS I set the CD/DVD as the first option, however it never boot from the CD/DVD.

I'm however able to boot from ISO image. But I really need the use of a CD/DVD. The VM just keeps

going to the Network boot option. That is another thing, anyone knows how to disable the Network boot

option; The BIOS "shift + 1" does not work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

What is your Virtual Machine CD/DVD ROM device configured as? If it is a host device what device is it pointing to?

-Surya

0 Kudos
tom_e_reynolds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just had this issue.

I installed ESXi and then loaded an ISO as a CD in my first new Virtual guest, but couldn't get it to boot off the CD.

Right click your virtual guest, click on "edit settings". Check the device status for the CD-Rom, make sure its "connected" and/or "connected at power on". Once you do that, it should boot.

The default setting for a new install is not checked (not connected). Seems like an oversight to me.

0 Kudos
cbecerra
Contributor
Contributor

Guys:

I figure out the problem. It was the version of ESX 3i. I had installed build 123629 and

apparently there is a problem with it. I did the new path update which I believe wa

release 3/30/09 and that fixed the problem. Thanks to everyone who took the

time to respond.

.Cesar

0 Kudos