VMware Cloud Community
Divix
Contributor
Contributor

ESX future sound and usb support?

Hello,

We already know that ESX family doesn't support sound or usb, and I am facing this problem myself. I am planning to switch myself in VMware Server setup with bare CentOS "ESX like" clone to get sound and usb support for my server. It's clear that this CentOS / VMware server is a poor copy compared to ESX servers performance, but right now I have no choice. So my main question is that will there be any plans to make real sound and usb support in the future in ESX server product family? If I only get some hints about this I might be able to consider which move is better right now, because of course I would prefer ESX server, and thinking is it possible to wait some updates for this case right now. Or is it clear principal that there will be no sound and usb support anyway so I can go with VMware server with some peace of mind at least.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

They are reparate lines of products for different applications: ESX, Server, Workstation.

There is no product which would "do it all". There are trade-offs for a good reason.

BTW, Server or Workstation VM performance does not need to be "poor".

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

We already know that ESX family doesn't support sound or usb, and I am facing this problem myself. I am planning to switch myself in VMware Server setup with bare CentOS "ESX like" clone to get sound and usb support for my server. It's clear that this CentOS / VMware server is a poor copy compared to ESX servers performance, but right now I have no choice. So my main question is that will there be any plans to make real sound and usb support in the future in ESX server product family? If I only get some hints about this I might be able to consider which move is better right now, because of course I would prefer ESX server, and thinking is it possible to wait some updates for this case right now. Or is it clear principal that there will be no sound and usb support anyway so I can go with VMware server with some peace of mind at least.

I am a little confused as to what you mean, ESX Guests can generate Sound, when you attach to a ESX Win2k3 guest via RDP, the RDP protocol will redirect any audio to the client device, the same is true with some USB deivces when attached via the VDM broker. if you are talking about directly attahced USB support for things like dongles then the majority of these will work via a IP to USB redirector, the introduction of USB to the ESX environment will need considerable work and also any guest that are useing USB will be precluded from being able to be involved with HA, DRS or VMotion. (this will be similar to having a CD attaced to the client device) personally I can not see a time when I would need true USB in an enterprise environment as the use of it would be too restricting.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I've run into situations where USB support on ESX for the VMs would be nice, but I also definitely see the disadvantages of this in terms of keeping VMs portable. The same is true for support for serial and parallel ports - we've recently moved to a Digi Serial-over-IP device so that we can keep any and all serial port device off the network. I haven't run into a Parallel-over-IP device, but this should be doable via USB-over-IP plus USB-to-Parallel converters. Problem for me is that most of the USB-over-IP devices only let you connect one host to the device at at time, which means one USB-over-IP device per VM that requires it concurrently. I don't really want this many USB-over-IP devices creeping up in my environment.

0 Kudos
landsman
Contributor
Contributor

For sound see VMware KB article 1004839.

0 Kudos
twoodland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you worked with AnywhereUSB? I know our trainer brought it up a few times, and it seems to be perfect for usb dongles, and maybe printers, but the transfer speed is slow (I believe 12mbit) so anything other than usb dongles would not be real practical.

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Durring the Halifax Area VMware User Group that I attended on 3 November 08 I questioned a VMware programming engineer that said they did incorperate itt in ESXi however it broke when they did so that are hoping to have an update or something to have sound and USB abilities the same as ESX 3.5 by May 09 or so..

0 Kudos
Divix
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Little re-opening for this topic perhaps? Some time has gone and there are also this new ESX 4.0 version came up. Still there aren't any news for these usb and sound features? Any upcoming plans maybe? I am realized those usb over ip tricks and remote sounds, but those aren't suitable for my needs. I am still using server 2.0.1 because of native usb and sound support. I have feeling that server 2.0.1 branch isn't going to evolve anymore so much and most of the development power is focused in newer products? So if anyone has any "inside info" .. again, I am very happy to hear it. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
abookiya
Contributor
Contributor

I have a guest winxp in ESX server and needed to make use of Splashtop remote connection for audio/video

to get to hulu and other websites that I can't from ipad2.

I installed virtual audio cable (vac2) http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

VAC2 is only for local host and not RDP.

since splashtop make use of the local connection.

After installing VAC2 to the guest virtual pc.

In splashtop streamer-->settings--> check 'when a remote client connects...' and go to advanced settings-->

under remote client should play... select Virtual Cable 1-spdif Interface-->ok.

Once I remote in thru SplashTop, I have sound and video from hulu/youtube etc.

Hope it helps those looking for audio problem.

Take care!

1810711.png

0 Kudos