VMware Cloud Community
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Cluster - Each Host on Different Subnet

I'm trying to find out if this will work:

A set of ESX 3.5 hosts in a cluster. All hosts are on the same subnet. Can I add a new ESX host that has a Service Console IP on a different subnet?

The datastores would still be shared, that is, the same datastores of the cluster are also presented to the ESX host. Also, all of the hosts would be able to talk to each other between the different subnets. The only difference is the service console subnet.

Would this work?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I always have the management port on a different subnet than my VMs. It is behind a physical firewall.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

I was actually just referring to the Service Consoles, the IPs of the current ESX Service Consoles are on 10.116.x.x and the new host will be on 10.117.x.x.

The VMs are already on a different subnet than the Service Console.....already know that works.

Thanks anyway. Any other info?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Did you really want this to be in the ESX forum rather than the ESXi forum?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

Ooops, didn't realize it was in the wrong forum. I meant to have it in just ESX 3.5.

I went ahead and tried it out. The hosts can all work in the same cluster, but HA has issues which I can get by with since it is a temporary configuration.

0 Kudos