VMware Cloud Community
wvperez
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3i u4 on Dell Precision 470

Hello,

I'm totally new to VMware. As pat of learning curve decided to try and upgrade dual-boot Dell Precision 470. Got following error when booting from CD: "Unsupported BIOS setting (CPUID is limited). Disable 'limit CPUID value' or 'Support legacy/NT4 OS' in BIOS." BIOS doesn't have either settings. I disabled hyper-threading with no effect just in case.

Precision 470 Config is as follows: 2 x XEON 2.8GHz, 800MHz FBS, 2 GB RAM, A07 BIOS (latest).

Any redirection to documents that cover this issue will be greatly appreciated. Notice that other people have had similar issue with same/similar hardware that looks like they were resolved but unable to locate resolution.

Appreciate any help!

--Wil

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

"Unsupported BIOS setting (CPUID is limited). Disable 'limit CPUID value' or 'Support legacy/NT4 OS' in BIOS

I think what that's referring to is the memory OS setting to Legacy where it limits the access, maybe LBA setting. Both of those settings are in the BIOS. There should be a setting that will allow you for 'install mode' basically. See if you can find, set it to 'enable' and try your install again.

Don't forget to DISABLE when done!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. See this thread for the shift+o option - http://communities.vmware.com/message/1012067#1012067. Once you have ESXi nistalled, there's an advanced option to change so you don't have to do this each time you boot.

0 Kudos