VMware Cloud Community
ESXi35
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3i Installable vs Embedded

Hi

I have couple of questions on the ESX 3i boxes.

1) What is the difference between esx 3i installable and embedded.

2) How can i differentiate the configured ESX 3i servers ? We have ESX 3i boxes configured. 1 cluster with ESX 3i U3 and another ESX 3i U4. We are not sure whether these Host are with Installable or Embedded version ?

3) We want to make the patch level equal across the environment and hence need the above clarification.

Cheers

Tut

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi embedded is installed on USB flash. Installable is installed to hard drive. Technically, Embedded was factory ordered option for a new server. Functionally there is no real difference.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
ESXi35
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

We got those servers factory installed and it is not with any USB. I have also heard that the factory installed ones come with a SD. Not sure whether we have this type or the installable one.

Is there a way to quickly find out the installed type of ESX 3i ?

Cheers

Tut

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The Factory installed USB devices are inside the the server. Some of the newest servers in the last few months do use SD cards that are also inside the server.

If it was factory installed it was probably embedded.

You can use the unsupported console and run fdisk -l to see what the disk layout is. That can show whether a VMKFS partition is a part of the disk or not.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

The embedded version could be installed on a SD flash or a internal USB.

It depends by the vendor.

Technically is quite the same as the installable version, and also this can be installed on a USB key.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The update tool will apply any patches properly regardless of how it is installed.

0 Kudos