VMware Cloud Community
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3i 3.5 Update 3 - how to get Dell openmanage to install?

Hello, First of all this is my first post so apologies if this question has been asked before.

A quick run down of my setup and what I am trying to do: I have 2 dell poweredge PE 2950 III QUAD CORE XEON E5440 (2.8GHZ) servers both with 4 x 73GB SAS 15K HD with no DRAC configured in a raid 5 array with ESX 3i 3.5 Upate 3 build 123629 installed with local storage on both (no SAN).

Following Dells document on how to install Openmanage onto an ESX server I have downloaded the latest Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node 5.5.0, A00 tar file extracted it and then copied it up to the ESX server using WinSCP and then I putty to the esx server (i first had to open SSH on the esx servers which is blocked by default) following dells instructions i then try to install openmanage using this command ./srvadmin-install.sh -b -w -s which gives me an error everytime which basically points to install script not being able to install at line 118.

I rang Dell support to ask them if they support this verion of ESX 3i 3.5 update 3 on their PE2950 servers and whether they had updated intructions and their answer was at this time no there is document to get this installed on this version. I know that i can enable SNMP to use with Dell IT assistant to do basic monitoring of the hardware but I was wondering if anyone else has successfully installed openmanage on this version of ESX and even better how did you do it?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

As far as I know it's not possible and definitely not supported. ESXi doesn't contain a Service Console like ESX does. Might me that Dell releases a modified version of ESXi like for instance HP does... But at this point in time it's not available as a free download.

Duncan

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

that is what i thought but I have been told by someone I work with that they have successfully installed openmanage on ESX 3i 3.5 update 2 which tells me it is possible using the 3i architecture. Yes your right there is no service console which does make things a little more tricky. cheers

0 Kudos
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

in addition to my previous post my colleague installed it thought a SSH session similiar to the way i explained in my first post so please can someone explain that to me? that was on ESX 3i 3.5 update 2 with no service console and he has the servers to prove it. All he did was follow Dells openmanage install intructions.

0 Kudos
Elwappo
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using the "licensed" version of Esx 3.5i or the free version?

From what I know, and I may be wrong, ESXi has very, very limited SNMP support. You can configure the server to send alert traps that will send very cryptic messages relating to hardware issues and status of virtual machines. ESXi itself has no support for traditional SNMP gets. That's what most people use to monitor most network servers and devices on the market today. ESXi is based around CIM. Dell's openmanage can be configured to accept traps from an ESXi host. However you cannot use Openmanage to poll SNMP information from one. You can however do this with the "full" version of ESX 3.x. If you have VirtualCenter in your envrionment you can use this to monitor licensed versions of ESXi. If your intrested in collecting performance data and alerting within ESXi and you don't want to spend the money on virtualcenter you can try:

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-monitoring.html

It's very cost effective for small shops with a few ESX3i servers. However it does not kick out alerts from the hardware components of the host server. It can monitor things suchs as CPU utilization, memory utilization, and kick out alerts based on them.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

that is what i thought but I have been told by someone I work with that they have successfully installed openmanage on ESX 3i 3.5 update 2

Not possible. there is NO console to run web services in or the agent to install, therefore no way to install the Agent. I think they have installed in in ESX 3.5, but NOT 3.5i. It isn't possible to install the agents. Dell and the instructions even say 'ssh to ESX to install product' which is also impossible, so either that person is giving you bogus info or you misunderstood exactly which product they are using. There are 3 distinct versions of ESX, only one of which has a console to install the Dell Openmanage.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

ESX 3i 3.5 update 2 with no service console

Exactly so you can't even connect to the server via SSH to even start the isntall... the screen shots are probably for ESX 3.5 WITH console access, NOT 3.5i.

0 Kudos
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

you are wrong there RParker as i am currently connect via SSH and putty (screeshot is attached to prove it) you do realise you have to unblock ssh port using VI command on the esx server first.

0 Kudos
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

again RParker you are wrong my colleague as connected to the servers and showed me with my own eyes and as I said he used ssh. update 2 has bash command line built and update 3 uses the more cut down version busybox so I am guessing this might have something to do with the issue.

0 Kudos
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

RParker i owe you an apology upon another check from my colleague it was 3.5 update 2 not 3i, however you can definitely ssh to 3i has i have shown

0 Kudos
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your post elwappo. We are now going to go back to version 3.5 update 3 in get rid of 3i altogether it works fine but its not the best version for the current organisation I am working for basically due to non-openmanage capabilities.

0 Kudos
Elwappo
Contributor
Contributor

Any console you guys are opening to a 3i box is an unsupported mode. Anything you install there or manipulate, unless asked to do so by a VMware rep, is not supported in anyway. It's there for troubleshooting not for production use. Just be aware of that before you count on it in a production envrionment. I've toyed with this before and it's very easy to quickly cause 3i to go crazy making alterations to it on this level.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you can SSH into it, but you cannot install stuff inside this limited service console. First of all, I believe VMware has created some "checks" that keep standard Linux binaries from running in this environment. Something to do with how they've compiled the kernel, busybox, etc., but there are a few extra symbols required for executing binaries inside this environment. Furthermore, your space is pretty limited in here - ESXi is meant to create minimally sized management partitions, and I doubt if there's enough space to really install something useful.

Furthermore, while the console is there, as someone else already mentioned, it is UnSupported, which means that in a production environment (where you want VMware to support you if something goes wrong) you should be using this limited service console unless instructed to do so by VMware.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I dunno...I'm using ESXi in a non-production environment and I have the console enabled. I have yet to cause any problems with ESXi by doing anything in there...

Still, as you say, it is unsupported...

0 Kudos
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

yes Nick your right and thanks for your response it is unsupported by vmware to use vi to edit stuff and must be done with caution and at present there appears to be no way to install third party agents in 3i until dell/VM release a modified version of it. I have now gone back to 3.5 U3 which took no time and at all. I just love how quickly you can get these esx boxes up and running!

0 Kudos
bmac000
Contributor
Contributor

they have cut a lot of stuff out in it and using a cut down version of the linux command line, busybox so I've cut my losses (which were small anyway) and reinstalled 3.5 U3. thanks for your post

0 Kudos