VMware Cloud Community
phishin4dmb
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.5i Using a guest OS from host machine

OK, So I am not sure this is possible, but I got ESX 3.5i installed on my main Server system. What I want to do was to have ESXi with windows server 2008 and CentOS running as VM's. I got them installed and setup via VirtualCenter which is installed on my labtop.

My questions is can I use either of the guest VM from my actual server hardware instead of using my laptop to login into my server? I was hoping to have this ability and seemlessley switch between the two VM. I know I can do this with with VMware workstation running on top of of windows server 2008. But having ESXi gives me near native performance.

Any help doing this would be great.

Steve

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Steve, welcome to the VMware Community forums. You won't be able to access the VMs from the console of your ESXi host as you would with VMware Workstation. Instead you would need to use remote access tools like RDP or VNC and access the VMs from your laptop or other PC.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Also, the VMs on ESXi will continue to run in the background, even when the client isn't open on your laptop. So, you can still "use" them, or at least the services they provide, without the client, you'll just need the VI Client to manage them from their consoles.

0 Kudos
phishin4dmb
Contributor
Contributor

Crap, so no matter what I am screwed. The crapy thing is that the workstation is limited to 2 processors and can't take advantage of my duel Quad core xeons Smiley Sad Oh well, thanks all for the help.

0 Kudos