VMware Cloud Community
aleczander
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 won't see ESX 2.5 SAN Storage

HELP!

I have an test bed ESX 3.5 host and I'm using VMware Infastructure Client to manage it.

I have mapped a new LUN to that host on our DS4300. I'm tring to add my existing VMFS 2.5 LUN so I can copy my VMDK's over to the new LUN.

I got the SAN Identifier of the HBA from the new host and created a new Alias on the SAN switch and added that alias to my existing ESX 2.5 zone.

When I rescan the HBA from IC, the ESX 2.5 Lun will not show up.

What am I missing??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't know Storage Manager very well, however the steps which need to be done are almost the same for the various storage systems.

I think what you need to do in the Storage Manager is to:

1. create a new host object for the ESX server, which contains the WWN's of the FC HBAs in the ESX host

2. select the Mappings View tab

3. right click the appropriate logical drive and select Define Additional Mapping…

4. select the ESX host and assign the LUN (make sure, it's the same LUN-ID as for the other ESX hosts)

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To see a LUN on a host you need:

1. create a new zone for the initiator (ESX host) and the DS4300 on the switch

2. present the LUN to the ESX host on your storage system (use the same LUN ID as for the other hosts!!!)

3. rescan your HBAs in ESX

I got the SAN Identifier of the HBA from the new host and created a new Alias on the SAN switch and added that alias to my existing ESX 2.5 zone.

Even though that's possible, I recommend single initiator zoning. --> One zone = One initiator port + multiple target ports.

André

0 Kudos
aleczander
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I made new zone for the new host and added the ds4300 alias and the actual alias for the new host on the san switch.

I guess I dont know how to do #2.

Do I do something in StorageManager 10?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't know Storage Manager very well, however the steps which need to be done are almost the same for the various storage systems.

I think what you need to do in the Storage Manager is to:

1. create a new host object for the ESX server, which contains the WWN's of the FC HBAs in the ESX host

2. select the Mappings View tab

3. right click the appropriate logical drive and select Define Additional Mapping…

4. select the ESX host and assign the LUN (make sure, it's the same LUN-ID as for the other ESX hosts)

André

0 Kudos
aleczander
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I've created the host group, the host port with the approprite identifier called "ESX4TEST".

I'm trying to get access to "LAN" thats on host group ESX (its the first logical drive listed in the attached screenshot)

When I goto "Host group ESX" and define additional mappings, the logical drive name defaults to "access" and the drive capacity is blank.

So when "add storage" (after a rescan of corse) the lun still does not show up.

0 Kudos
aleczander
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can see the lun now, but it hangs at "searching datastore"

0 Kudos