VMware Cloud Community
C34
Contributor
Contributor

Dual Core Intel 5160 Processor Compatibility

Hello,

We have a few ESXi 3.5 Installable Update 2 servers (HP BL460c) with Dual Core Intel 5160 Processors. Back when these servers were ordered, we checked the HCL at the following location. This document seems to show that the 5100 series of Intel Xeon processors is supported with ESX 3i Installable so we went ahead and installed ESX3i Update 2 at the time.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/docs/vi35_systems_guide.pdf

Recently, however, VMware has modified their HCL site (http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php) and now it appears that this specific model is not supported on the HP BL460c with ESX3i Installable. According to this site, only the following versions of ESX are supported. Does anyone have any experience with this series of processors or have any ideas why it would not be supported? Could it be that it has just not been tested or is it more likely the VMware found some sort of bug?

ESX 3.51 , ESX 3.0.31 , ESX 3.0.2 U11 , ESX 3.0.211

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

I see that it is still on the supported list of for ESXi 3.5 Installable U1

here is the list ..... Page 52 @

And i dont see any reason why it is not supported. The only reason it is not made it to the list could be they haven't tested it on that hardware with U2.

As far as my knowledge goes there is no feature updates and changes that goes in the 'U' release. so if the CPU and the hardware is supported with a version of BIOS for U1 i dont see a reason why it is not supported with U2.

Hope this helps.

-Surya

Correction it's in page 51 and ESX 3.5.0 U1 and U2 both are supported with that CPU on ProLiant BL460C

-Surya

MZ11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

searching for bl460c on VMware HCL lists the all supported processor-series. One entry is:

HP ProLiant BL460C Quad-core Intel Xeon 5100 Series Quad-core Intel Xeon 5100 series ESX 3.5 U3 , ESX 3.5 U2 , ESX 3.5 U1 , ESX 3.5 , ESXi 3.5 Embedded U3, ESXi 3.5 Embedded U2, ESXi 3.5 Embedded U1, ESXi 3.5 Embedded, ESXi 3.5 Installable U3, ESXi 3.5 Installable U2, ESXi 3.5 Installable U1, ESXi 3.5 Installable, ESX 3.0.3 , ESX 3.0.2 U1 , ESX 3.0.2

All Intel Xeon 51XX-Models are supported with ESX(i) 3.5 including every Update.

The older HCL-documents where much better, but I think the amount of supported models made this change necessary.

Regards,

MZ1

0 Kudos
C34
Contributor
Contributor

Surya,

I don't see the processor listed on page 51. I do see it listed on page 50, but it doesn't include any ESXi versions.

MZ1,

I see the entry you are talking about but it is the Quad-Core 5100 Series. Because the Quad-Core Series is listed, is that good enough to say the Dual-Core 5100 Series would be ok too. I just find it troubling that on the current HCL site, the 5160 is mentioned explicitly and doesn't list support for any of the ESXi versions and the Dual Core Intel 5100 series is listed for ESXi 3.5 Update 1.

Thank you both for you support thus far.

Craig

0 Kudos
MZ11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Craig,

this must be a typo, because Intel Xeon 51XX are always Dual-Core (newer version of 50XX). The quad-cores are 53XX and 54XX. The new version of the HCL is much more complicated and makes us confusing.

There are some models of 51XX listed but with different compatibilities, really strange!

We used all Intel Xeon 5XXX Series CPUs with different Versions (starting with 3.5 Xeon 5160, 3.5U1 Xeon 5355 and 3.5U2 Xeon 5445, now running latest patches on U3) without any problems.

I hope VMware will change the HCL soon.

MZ1

Message changed by MZ1

C34
Contributor
Contributor

Good catch on the 5100 series being only dual core. I will assume the reference to the Quad Core 5100 series is a typo and should be Dual Core 5100 Series.

As evidenced by this discussion, the new HCL is pretty confusing since some entries show the entire series as being supported and then another specific model in the series will be listed with limited support. It appears that the 5160 reference may just be an old reference that has not been updated.

Thank you for your help!

Craig

0 Kudos