VMware Cloud Community
Blademan7
Contributor
Contributor

Does free ESXi support multi-cpu?

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo box that I loaded ESXi on. No problem. When I applied the license file, it states that only 1 socket and 1 cpu is supported. Is this expected?

TIA

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Unless you have 2 processors (multiple Core 2 Duo), you are setup correctly.

I setup the free version of ESXi on an IBM x440 (4 proc) yesterday, and all processors reported properly.

Keep in mind, that processors are recognized (at the licensing level) by the socket, and not the number of cores.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, ESXi can be loaded on SMP hosts and can run vSMP guests (up to 4 vCPU)

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what Jase says... when you apply for the free ESX3i version, one of the questions you need to fill in is on how many CPU's you are planning to install this.

The way I read it was as processors on the same motherboard, not as isolated installs. Besides what use is vSMP support if you have only one physical processor (even with 2 cores) ?

So the answer is YES, it supports multi-CPU, and you can specify details for what you need during the registration process.

hth,

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah... I figured they'd do it like they did VMware Server initially.... So I put in 999 cpus. Smiley Wink

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
Blademan7
Contributor
Contributor

In Inventory -->; Config, it shows the following under processor:

Model: Core 2 Duo

Processor Sockets: 1

Processor Cores per Socket: 1

Logical Processors: 1

Hyperthreading: Disabled (Not active)

Licensed Features --> ESX Server Edition, shows:

ESX Server Standalone

Up to 4-way virtual SMP

Licensed for 1 CPU

Doesn't seem right to me...

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure why it isn't seeing your other cores. But I haven't had the opportunity to install ESXi on a Core 2 Duo system as of yet.

I would think the Processor Cores per Socket would read 2 or 4, depending on your CPU. And I would assume the Logical Processors would be the same.

What type of box is it?

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What's the specific processor model? I have a E6750 and it properly is shown with 1 socket / 2 cores / 2 logical.

0 Kudos
Blademan7
Contributor
Contributor

Dell Optiplex

E6550

0 Kudos
DyJohnnY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello all,

I think i may be seeing a similar issue, like the one reported.

I'm using an Gigabyte EP45-DS3R + Intel E7400 running ESXi update4. I have all my VM's up and running but esx recognizez only 1 core, or at least, i think that is what it means.

here's what the report from esx says

General

Manufacturer:

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Model:

EP45-DS3R

Processors:

1 CPU x 2,796 GHz

Processor Type:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz

Processor sockets: 1

Processor cores/socket: 1

Logical Processors: 2

Hyperthreading:Enabled

The summary screen displays the total amount of Mhz being just 2,8Ghz, and i'd be expecting it to tell me i have 5,6=2x2,8.

Can anyone shed some light on this confusion?

Thanks,

Ionut

IonutN
0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I wonder if the BIOS is set to show a single logical CPU for some reason. I'd reset the BIOS to factory defaults and then ensure hardware virtualisation is enabled, for starters.

0 Kudos
DyJohnnY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think it sees 2 logical cpu's, but just 1 core...which is what i don't understand to begin with, i was expecting 2 cores to be visible, as i'm not sure what 2 logical cpu's means (thinking it may be related to HT?)

I checked the bios, there are no settings regarding virtualization enabling. The CPU does not have intel-vt, BUT as i understood it, that only means i can't use 64b OS's, which seems unrelated to the number of cores visible to me.

any other thoughts?

thanks,

ionut

IonutN
0 Kudos