VMware Cloud Community
firefox111
Contributor
Contributor

Do you use CA Arcserv to backup your VM's

Hello. What backup software do you use to do automated scheduled backup of VM's? Do you use Arcserv or BAckupexec?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

There are a few posts I've seen on Arcserv and backupexec with vcb. I use netbackup, without vcb, traditional agents inside of guests.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

We back up our VM's the same way we backup our physical Servers. Some are TSM and some NetBackup.

We don't use VCB either

0 Kudos
firefox111
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

I wonder if vcb is the prefered method for Disaster Recovery rather than traditional backup with agents inside the VM's.

I received an email from Computer Associates regarding their Arcserv which has "Integration with VMware VCB and Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V that eliminates the need for scripting, limits the storage space consumed when backing up virtual servers and accelerates granular restore times..."

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

There are many vendors that have direct integration with VCB. It's a good solution for small to med environments to offload backup processing to a dedicated host for san-based backups, or for lan-based backups. The method you choose will depend on your full requirements. VCB can be used to perform full vm image backups that make DR an easier task. My environment uses agents within the vm and replication for dr purposes, but I have different RTO/RPO than some. You can backup fullvm using vcb, and then use converter to deploy that vm image back to an ESX server at your DR site.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
firefox111
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You're welcome. Don't forget to leave points for helpful / correct posts.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos