VMware Cloud Community
TomislavZemljak
Contributor
Contributor

Disaster recovery of ESXi host

Motherboard on my ESXi host is done, white smoke and all.

I have replaced it with a nother (old) motherboard i had at hand , puluged the rest of hardware in it ,and OS booted.

Problem(s) i'm facing is that it wont stay responsive when virtual machines start to boot up.

Thing is,new motherboard has 1/2 of memory original one had, and my disks are so filled that the host has no room for swap.

i'd like to ask for help to either

- boot it in a way so it doesnt run the "power on boot" list of guests ,or

- boot it in a way i can delete some obsolete virtual machines from command line before it hangs,thus freeing space and enabling swapping

Thanks for help!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
CaptainLeonidas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can still access the ESXi with VMware Infrasturcture Client before booting up the VM's I would try to start 1 VM at a time. Change the setting to use less memory and see if you can run all the VM's again.

Far as I know the VM's will not start if the total avalaible memory of the ESX is not available/exceeded by the configured memory setting of the seporate VM's.

VMware Workstation 7.x User

VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin

VMware Workstation 7.x User VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin
0 Kudos
TomislavZemljak
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunatly, altho the guests are having more dedicated memory than the system has ,they all start automaticly.

I'm starting the managment GUI but at point at wich i can start trying to log in,host already starts guest boot up sequence and server freezes.

Is there something like "safe mode" in wich i could boot and stop the execution of guest OS's ?

Can i browse VMFS from some sort of live CD and delete obsolete guest OS's ?

0 Kudos
TomislavZemljak
Contributor
Contributor

Problem was solved with buying additional hardware resources (RAM).

I have to point out that in some scenarios it would not be a option,since it might happen user can't access some old-gen hardware.

I also have some critycism to add for anyone considering the usage of ESXi:

- ESXi , altho a free product realy needs some sort of embeeded console ( like comertial ESX) wich would enable files manipulation

- ESXi is a free and "open" product but components that it relies on are not such - you cant, for instance browse it's file system from any of live CD distributions i have encountered. Thus, if you're asked to do any kind of forenzics that would leave temp/cache files untempered, you're out of luck

One could say "go buy ESX" but it's not a answer, free edition is given to public and is stated to be production ready, but lacks some basic manipulative tools, also, many SOHO companies can't afford it,at least in my region. In a age where virtualization is almost a must for a company of any scale, the above mentioned facts give a competetive edge to other virtualization solutions,altho VmWare's ones are in my opinion still on cutting edge, at least performance wise.

0 Kudos
CaptainLeonidas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While I agree with some of your points I do wonder which SOHO would use ESXi.

Running ESXi on a single hardware server allows for multible OS's to be run at the same time.

I myself would not recommand it and I would only start using ESXi when atleast 2 or more hardware servers are available and then tools like vCenter, FT, HA become available.

Especially if a single hardware server is used by an exchange/sql/ad microsoft enviroment. That's me tho.

One could consider running SBS additions of Microsoft if that were the case.

Within Linux if not mistaken server functionality is for most, if not all, of the basic SOHO needs,available which again can be run on a single hardware host (correct me if I am wrong tho).

ESXi lacks the terminal and VMware makes it a point of this saying ESXi is more secure because of it. Adding a console would undermine that concept.

No to mention it would also make the footprint bigger of the hypervisor if they did. Again this is an agrument by VMware to minimise the interface of ESXi as is.

VMware Workstation 7.x User

VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin

VMware Workstation 7.x User VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin
0 Kudos
TomislavZemljak
Contributor
Contributor

>While I agree with some of your points I do wonder which SOHO would use ESXi.

Mine is ,and i'm aware of several others.

>Running ESXi on a single hardware server allows for multible OS's to be run at the same time.

>I myself would not recommand it and I would only start using ESXi when atleast 2 or more hardware servers are available and then tools like vCenter, FT, HA become available.

You're expanding costs span beyond usual SOHO budget in my region with this.Not that i dont agree with redundancy it provides,but sometimes you just can't afford it.

>Especially if a single hardware server is used by an exchange/sql/ad microsoft enviroment. That's me tho.

>One could consider running SBS additions of Microsoft if that were the case.

My company, to be specific, uses both. One does not exclude usability of other. Microsoft solutions on other hand ,again raise the costs.Not to mention i have a hybrid server enviroment that's not exclusivly MS based.

>Within Linux if not mistaken server functionality is for most, if not all, of the basic SOHO needs,available which again can be run on a single hardware host (correct me if I >am wrong tho).

You are wrong (in my point of view), having independant standalone virtual servers bring flexibility and modularity that can't be matched by a single host of any kind. Let me remind that SOHO doesnt mean "we're selling flowers and only need mail server" kind of company, it marks the size of company by number of employees and budget available, not the diversity or complexity of work done in it.

>ESXi lacks the terminal and VMware makes it a point of this saying ESXi is more secure because of it. Adding a console would undermine that concept.

I'm not geting this part, how is a console that requires physical acces for start underminingg the security concept ? if i am able to enter the server room and console, i'm able to plug out whole box and take it with me-you have that same (lacking) console in ESX , is product that you pay for less secure than free one ?

>No to mention it would also make the footprint bigger of the hypervisor if they did. Again this is an agrument by VMware to minimise the interface of ESXi as is.

Smiley Happy "bigger footprint" we're talking about is in range of 10th's of MB, wich can easily be acomodated on any up to date host, i was refering to need for basic file level manipulative tasks,nothing more (after all you have them already in the kernel,but you're forced to use the VIC to utilise them). You have that on a comertial ESX instalation, and it doesnt temper the security concept. My conclusion is that only reason for lack of that and some stronger monitoring tools is to "encourage" users to buy a comertial product when they discover the flaws of free edition. I'm not blaming anyone for that - sound bussiness logic ; but i felt the need to advise potential users about problems they may face in disaster recovery situations if they use the non comertial product.

0 Kudos
trickybits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to touch on the ESXi=free and ESX=commercial topic.

This is a common misconception, ESXi exists in a free edition with limited functionality (since 4.1 it's now called vSphere Hypervisor).

ESXi, commercial or free, does not have the service console, which is the primary difference to ESX. The service console is already considered an outdated feature and VMware have clearly stated that ESXi is the future, and not ESX.

TomislavZemljak
Contributor
Contributor

>Just to touch on the ESXi=free and ESX=commercial topic.

>This is a common misconception, ESXi exists in a free edition with limited functionality (since 4.1 it's now called vSphere Hypervisor).

>ESXi, commercial or free, does not have the service console, which is the primary difference to ESX. The service console is already considered an outdated feature and VMware >have clearly stated that ESXi is the future, and not ESX.

Thanks for reminding me, in my original post i failed to mention we're talking about ESXi 3.5 , wich is by itself outdated ,but used in my example because of support for 32bit hardware and date of initial installation.

Once again,point of my rant is to clarify to a could-be user of that specific software (ESXi 3.5) the problems he may face in a disaster recovery situation. As for "The service console is already considered an outdated feature" it's arguable at best but analyzing that would go beyond the scope of my original post.

0 Kudos