VMware Cloud Community
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor

Deploying VM from the template

HI Guys

I got a template called win2k3 and am trying to deploy a VM from there called "server1"

I followed the simple steps:

1- Right click the template and choose "deploy VM from this template"

2- Define the name and location.

3- Then select "Customize using the customization wizard"

4- come to windows licensing part : I am not providing key and uncheck the box to include license information

5- finish all steps and click finish , i noticed that while its progressing , in the event it shows " deploying server1 on host abc.com.au in xyz datacentre from template server1

thats very strange the template should be "win2k3"

then after 100% is failed and says "customization failed"

pls help

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

You are most likely missing the necessary sysprep files to customize the OS. Have alook at this link:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/163421

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor

I re-attempted a while ago and this time Under windows license I checked the box "Include server license information (required for customizing a server guest OS) and "pear seat"

all good and done.

regarding sysprep: I had ticked the option to generate the new SID after licensing part

but the task and event messages are bit misleading , even upon success it says deploy VM server1 from template "server1" which i still don't understand.

any idea ?????????

0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor

i power on , sysprep conf screen appears and server rebooted in the setup mode but now its asking for product key but i thought our vendor has pre-defined the volume key anyway i enter the key and its ok.

it means every time i deploy new server , i have to do the same ?

0 Kudos