VMware Cloud Community
aboh
Contributor
Contributor

Dell Update for Embedded ESXi on PowerEdge 2900iii?

Hi Everyone,

I found updates on VMware's website, but did not see any that referred to the current version on my Dell server. Does Dell maintain its own, separate updates for ESXi embedded in its servers? I could not find any updates on Dell's website.

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll use the updates from VMware's site. Dell does not maintain firmware updates for ESXi.

0 Kudos
aboh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave,

I kind of thought that would be the case... I need to read up on how updates are applied to the ESXi Embedded Server. I know that there is an Update Manager in VI3 but I am hoping that I can apply updates without initially stepping up to the VI3 product packages. Right now, my ESXi Embedded server shows that it is at 3.5.0 build 82664. I read the following on VMware's patch webpage for ESXi Embedded: "Using the most recent patch bundle will update all components with all the fixes contained in all previous bundles. A single patch bundle applies to both ESX Server 3i version 3.5 Installable and ESX Server 3i version 3.5 Embedded." The latest entry on the patch webpage is the following, which was posted on 12/02/2008:

-

ESXe350-200811401-O-SG - PATCH

Product : ESXi (Embedded and Installable) 3.5

md5sum: e895c8cb0d32b722d7820d0214416092

Download Size: 213M

-

I am downloading this patch zip file, which appears to contain updates for the following components and will bring them to the stated versions:

-

VICLIENT:

Build Number: 119801

KB 1007058

VMTOOLS:

Build Number: 130755

KB 1007508

FIRMWARE:

Build Number: 130755

KB 1007507

-

To update VI Client, I assume there is an executable that I run on my windows computer. To update VMtools, I assume that I copy an executable to my Windows VMs, and run it. To update the ESXi Server firmware, I have no idea how to proceed! Smiley Happy I assume that I should have backups of my virtual machines before applying the VMtools and firmware updates. Am I on the right track, Dave?

Thank you again for your continued mentoring! I am working my way through the online certification courses as well as introducing VMware's technology into our consulting office. I have many clients who are excited about moving towards a VDI based solution and so I am working my way up the learning curve... So far, I absolutely love VMware's products! They have been working flawlessly on our physical server, the quality has been exceptional, and access to other professionals and books has made learning and adopting the technology much easier to accomplish. All in all... Way cool stuff! Smiley Happy

Mike

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the VMware Infrastructure Update application to install the patch to your ESXi host. In this case, it will push both the firmware, new client and new versions of VMware tools to your host. You can also do it from the command line, but the client is very easy and it will download the patch package for you. See the "patching without VirtualCenter" article on www.vm-help.com for info on all 3 methods. The article is a bit dated, but the process for the most part is still the same.

Once you have updated your host (it will require a reboot) you can download the new version of the VI client from the main web page for your ESXi host (or you could extract the setup from the patch). Likewise for vmware tools, right click on your VMs and select Upgrade / Install VMware Tools.

You should also take a backup of the config of your ESXi host. You can do that with the vicfg-cfgbackup.pl command from the RCLI - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/esx_3i_rcli/3i_rcli_guide.php.

0 Kudos