VMware Cloud Community
Apenkopje
Contributor
Contributor

Dell R805 , install Vmware on SD card

Hello,

I have 2 Dell R805's , i wan't to install Vmware 3i on the 1 GIG SD Card onboard. But it can't

recognize the SD card onboard. The installation only shows the 80GIG Sata harddrive but not the SD card.

How can i install VMware on the 1 gig SD card?

I installed Vmware on a 4 gig USB Stick, and succesfly boot from it trough the 4 gig USB Stick. But i wan't

VMware on the Onboard SD card. Hope that somebody can help me. Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Check if BIOS recognize SD as storage device and can use it. Possibly you just need to set correspondig parameter to enable.

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
sammyc53
Contributor
Contributor

I have the new Dell PE 2950 with the onboard USB and ESX Embedded.

Turns out Dell shipped it will the USB port disabled in the BIOS.

So, yeah, check the bios Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
amirs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apenkopje,

A few more details would be helpful.

Did you order ESXi to be factory installed by Dell? You indicate that you are trying to install ESXi on the SD card, which makes me wonder if you are trying to use the SD card as a hard disk for the ESXi Installable image.

Other possibilities would be that you (1) ordered ESXi without an SnS contract and with no other OS on the server, or (2) you ordered another operating system factory installed by Dell. In these case, the internal port supporting the SD card would be disabled and the boot order is pointed to the HDD. Instructions are provided with the system on how to re-point the boot order to the SD card if that is what he wants to do.

Thanks

0 Kudos
NHATech
Contributor
Contributor

By default 3i is on the SD card right from the factory.

However the SD card is not selected as the boot device and in fact will not show up as a boot device.

There is a note in the box that walks you through first enabling the USB device in the bios. Then after another restart you can select the SD card as the boot device.

Once you boot from the SD card, ESX 3i will load and you can then configure it to point to your VC server where you can complete the configuration of the server.

0 Kudos