VMware Cloud Community
rsip
Contributor
Contributor

Dell PowerEdge 1750 or IBM xSeries 335?

Hi,

I would like replace my current PC-serverVMware Server with 1U serverVMware ESXi

I have 2 offers: Dell PowerEdge 1750 and IBM xSeries 335

I googled for two days, it seems ESXi is running on both, at least after firmware/bios upgrades.

Unfortunately I will need monitor somehow RAID on server without physical access.

I would like to ask owners of these two machines:

- what information is available in ESXi "Health status" or

- if there is possible to see RAID status in remote administration or

- these servers are able to send information about RAID to any any remote machine (e.g. to running VM with some software)

I want choose better one from these two Smiley Happy

Please suggest what I should to buy for ESXi.

Thank you.

Specifications:

IBM xSeries 335

1U server, 2 x Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz, Hyper-Threading Technology, 512 KB L2 cache, 4GB PC2100 ECC DDR Chipkill memory, Internal storage: 2 x 73GB U320 SCSI, Ultra320 SCSI controller with integrated RAID-1 and two PCI-X slots, 2 x Gigabit Ethernet, IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II

Dell PowerEdge 1750

1U server, 1 x Intel Xeon 2.4GHz supporting Hyper-Threading Technology, 4GB ECC DDR SDRAM, Slots 2 x 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X or 1 x 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X and 1 x 64-bit/33MHz PCI, Dual Gigabit1 Broadcom NICs, 2x 36GB Hot Swap SCSI 10.000 RPM, Dual channel ROMB (PERC 4/Di) with battery backup and 128MB cache powered by the Intel 10P321 I/O processor (400MHz) based on Intel® XScale™ technology, 2x VGA, 2x Gigabit LAN, 2 x PS/2, serial, Management, 2x USB, SCSI (VHDCI), 2 x hot-plug redundant power

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. I have a 335 running the latest ESXi build and I only get memory and processor health. The next release of ESX(i) is said to be 64 bit so I would stay away from any Intel server that doesn't have 64bit CPUs with Intel VT.