VMware Cloud Community
adminlewis
Contributor
Contributor

Default GW

Hi I have a vmware 3 ... I dont know if it is 3.5 or other..

anyway this is my netstat:

1. netstat -rn

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface

192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 vswif0

169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 vswif0

0.0.0.0 192.168.1.242 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 vswif0

The real gw (and fw) is 192.168.1.250 and I dont know why I have the 242... the guy whose had installed vmware have made this configuration.. I dont know way... and I dont know if it's a stupid mistake or not.. the 242 is the ip o the win2k3 virtual center/backup exec phisical server...

I want change this error but I'm not sure...

so the question is:

are there some reasons to set the virtual center machine as default gw ?

Thx very much for any help.

lewis

P.S. my question come from the problem that a dc win2k3 vm that has a clock 3 minutes in the future beause of vmware time ... so if I restart the ntp server of vmware it fail because the default gw (virtualcenter) is not a gw..

0 Kudos
2 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My experience, during implementation there was no GW (network not ready) but GW is a must for HA UAT and engineer forgot to replace this when actual GW is ready.

Second, your envi perhaps only have one L3 Switch and ESX hosts, vCenter really rely on that. No use for high-availability (HA) if the ONLY available L3 Switch unavailable to the network (no internet access, can't reach & etc). So, to avoid from HA to kick in (isolation network) when the ONLY available L3 Switch go down, vCenter is the best option for them.

BTW, you should able to change this easily (Configuration Tab -> Network -> Management -> IP Setting -> Edit default GW)

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - A gateway is a gateway - there is no reason why you should the VC server identified as the gateway - you can change the gateway address using the VI-Client or form the command line using the esxxfg-vswif command -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos