VMware Cloud Community
mhashemi
Contributor
Contributor

Data store won't shrink

I'm running ESXi 3.5 and VI client 2.5. My datastore consists of internal disk I tried to p2v a PC (Converter Standalone 4.0.1) and saw that I only had 9GB left. So I deleted some old VMs through the datastore browser, but the summary tab didn't update. I figured it might be a VI client problem so I started the converter and it reported the same free space.

If I open the datastore browser and add up the size of all the files, I should have well over 9GB free.

What's going on and how do I fix this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

did you refresh your datastore view? also try to going into datastore browser and ensures that the VMDKs are really deleted. at times it might be left orphan ..

0 Kudos
mhashemi
Contributor
Contributor

I did refresh the view. First I deleted the files, then the folders (through the datastore browser).

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

1. Restart management on the esxi3.5 server and see if you get the free space.

2. Make sure you have deleted the files.

how to restart the management agent refer the below KB.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you deleted them from the datastore browser?

did you also delete them from the hast vms view?

can you run vm-support -X ( you can do this from unsupported console in ESXi) and ensure that what ever you deleted is not running?

In linux you can sometimes delete files but even when they are in use. If that is the case the free space is not reclaimed. Beleive same applies to ESX

0 Kudos
mhashemi
Contributor
Contributor

The problem seems to have corrected itself. I didn't take any other action, but noticed the number was correct after the VI client was open for a little while.

Thanks.

0 Kudos