VMware Cloud Community
ticoloco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Data storage free space issue

Hy all!

I have installed a ESXi 3.5 on a IBM server. The data store capacity is 131.75 Gb, showed up in the Configuration TABStorage . I have added 3 virtual machines, 2 Windows 2003 Servers, and 1 Linux. I assigned for each of the 2 Windows machines 35Gb of hard disk space, and for the Linux machine 15 Gb of space. A simple mathematical calculation shows that the total amount of space that should be allocated to the VM's is 85Gb. Though, on the ConfigurationStorage details is showing that 125.14 Gb are used and 6.61Gb free. Previously, I had 10,5Gb free space and the only thing that I did was to erase a snapshot from one of the Windows VM's. After I refreshed the datastore, instead of the 10,5Gb of free space is showing now 6,61Gb.

Can someone help me with that? I intend to add one or two VM's but I'm afraid that there is no more space left on the datastore.

I attached some screen shots...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

It looks like citrixfarm1 may still have snapshots on it. Can you confirm that all snapshots have been removed? Also, keep in mind that there are other files that compose the vm, like the .vswp file, that will consume additional space in the datastore. You can browse the datastore(s) to see the actual files and the sizes.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

It looks like citrixfarm1 may still have snapshots on it. Can you confirm that all snapshots have been removed? Also, keep in mind that there are other files that compose the vm, like the .vswp file, that will consume additional space in the datastore. You can browse the datastore(s) to see the actual files and the sizes.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - How much memory is assigned to these VMs? When a VM is powered on a per VM vmkernel swap file is created equal to the memory assigned t the VM and minus the memory reservation - that is where your disk space went - also taking snapshots will consume space and it will grow over time as the snapshot grows -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ticoloco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you guys for your posts

I'm now realizing that beside the value of the hard disk assigned to the VM's there are other files that are consuming the space on the hard disk of the ESXi server(snapshots, swap file...etc). I browsed the datastore and made a sum of the values of the files ....and indeed ..there was the space that I was looking for.

Thatnk again!

0 Kudos