VMware Cloud Community
edmicman
Contributor
Contributor

Currently use VMWare Server - can/should I move to ESXi?

We currently use the free VMWare Server on a lab machine to host a handful of VMs (both Linux and Windows Server). The host machine is a Windows Server 2003 box. I'm wondering if I might gain some resources by running everything on ESXi on a bare-metal installation, rather than have the extra overhead of the Win2k3 host.

I'm not clear on the management of ESXi, though. Are the tools to manage it freely available? Mainly I just need to create/manage VM instances (or would I continue to use VMWare server for that?), and to be able to script shutdowns/startups for backups.

Or would I not gain as much as I'm thinking? Thanks for any info!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Leafy911
Expert
Expert

ESXi offers more efficient use of your hardware. You can manage it using VI client that I believe comes with it.

As ESXi is a bare metal installation it installs on a smaller list of hardware types than Virtual Server does. What is your kit made up from? (Make, model, etc)

Regards

Leafy911

(Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

Regards Leafy911 (Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes you will gain more resources by switching to ESXi - the one thing to be aware since you will not be running on the bare metal it is vmware's responsibility to develop the drivers for your systems hardware so check the HCL to insure your system and i/o cards are supported - the tool, the vi client, comes with your esxi host - once your host is configured you point a browser and you can down load the software to your desktop. To convert take a look at vmware converter -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
edmicman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, thanks for the replies! Errrrrm, the hardward I've got things running on now is an IBM eServer xSeries 205 8480-22X. I'll check the HCL.

So the VI management is for sure included with ESXi? I thought some of the pages made it sound like there wasn't a web management console with the free license, and/or you needed the full VMI to connect to it.

If I have VMs created in VMWare Server, will I still need to convert them to run on ESXi?

0 Kudos
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VI Client (free) can manage ESX3i (free). Virtual Center (not free) can also manage ESX3i with a VC agent (not free). With VC and associated enterprise agent, you can unlock the extra functionality of 3i (VMotion, HA etc)

Use VMware Converter to migrate your Server 1.0x VM's to ESX3i. It's very easy to use, but I would recommend a Gb connection between all nodes involved in the migration, it makes a BIG difference.

edmicman
Contributor
Contributor

Doh, I don't see my server listed as supported hardware. I wonder if it's just too old that they don't explicitly support it, but it might still work? Guess there's only one way to find out....it'd suck to blow away my existing host installation if it didn't, though. There's not a compatibility tester available, is there?

0 Kudos
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just because your h/w isn't on the HCL doesn't mean it won't work, you'd have to give it a go. If it's relatively modern (I'm not familiar with IBM servers) you might be ok. It will mainly be down to the RAID controller the server uses, and to get full functionaility, whether the CPU's support h/w virtualization (which should be enabled in the BIOS).

0 Kudos
Leafy911
Expert
Expert

Have a read of this

Regards

Leafy911

(Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)

Regards Leafy911 (Dont forget you recieve points when you award points)
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Another thing to consider when deciding to move to ESXi from VMware server is whether you need USB or serial port support. Though it is possible with external devices ESXi does not directly suppor USB or Serial.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mark_cs9
Contributor
Contributor

I recently made the change from VMware Server to ESXi. Although I'm sure many others would disagree with me, I honestly don't see an advantage to going with ESXi over VMware Server. In fact, there are features missing in ESXi that I miss from Server (networking options, such as NAT, bridged, etc., Active Directory integration for authentication, and in my opinion a better VM console experience). You do get much better control over Snapshots, but beyond that, it wasn't the step-up that I was looking for.

-Mark

0 Kudos
john_lauro
Contributor
Contributor

You get more features to make it worth it with virtual center.

If you have a new machine, I think it's worth it, despite loosing some features. That said, if server is already up and running and you have anything production on it, I wouldn't bother. You could migrate them to a new host easy enough (assuming SCSI disks), but in place would be a PITA...

0 Kudos