VMware Cloud Community
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creating Datastore on local Solid State Drive (fdisk error)

Environment: HP BL490c G6, ESX 3.5i booting from local SD card, 1 x 32GB Solid State HDD installed locally which we want to use as local Datastore (testing).

Attempt to create datastore using VIC client and encounter this issue: VMWare KB 1001489

KB states that ESXi boot volume and SSD must be on same controller so you can only use command line to create partition.

Problem I have is that the SSD already has partitions and I cannot get rid of them. Here is what I am doing:

ALT+F1

Unsupported

root password

esxcfg-mpath -l to obtain the SSD name (/vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba0:0:0:0)

fdisk -u /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba0:0:0:0

p to show the partitions - 3 are shown

d

d

d

3 to delete all 3 partitions

p to verify that no partitions exist

w to save the partition table

reboot server

re-view the partition information and they are all back Smiley Sad Grrr...

I have tried inserting the disk into another server and performing the same steps... same result... any reason or explanation why the partitions would remain even though I deleted them?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Yosias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what happens when you try to partition it using HP partitioning or whatever embedded utility there is during bootup to partition or delete partitions instead of doing it the way you are trying to do it. we just recently popped in some huge hard disks to use for backup. we just used the array utility of our HP to format delete and raid those puppies.

0 Kudos