VMware Cloud Community
ColliniConsulti
Contributor
Contributor

Create ip alias in vmware ESXi

Hello!

I would to create an ip alias for remote monitoring in vmware ESXi server. How can i do it?

Thanks in advance,Enrico

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColliniConsulti
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

is there anyone that can help me? I would like to create an ip alias in VmWare ESXi that it's a linux limited operating system..... is this possible to do?

Thanks in advance, Enrico!

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ESXi is not a minimal Linux OS it is in fact a proprietary OS specific to Vmware.

In ESX you get the Console OS that is Redhat ES3 based that allows you to interact to a greater extent with the vmkernel (The actual Vmware OS)

That both implementations have some similarities with Linux should not be taken to mean that the same rules apply to the vmkernel OS as do with Linux/Unix OSes in general.

To my knowledge the networking of ESXi and ESX does not allow for IP aliasing the way you can with Linux/UNIX systems.

Perhaps if you were to give a more detailed description as to what you are trying to achieve, a way could be found to do it with the ESX/ESXi networking capabilities.

0 Kudos
huntmedown
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

Even I havt to create an alias ip. Scenario would be:

• 1. Primary IP 10.220.236.255 (Physical hostname of one machine ‘ABC').

• 2. Alias IP 10.220.236.256 which is mapped to primary IP (Virtual hostname "VIR').

• 3. Secondary IP 10.220.236.400 (Physical hostname of second machine ‘XYZ').

• 4. Map the secondary IP of second machine ‘XYZ' with Alias IP virtual hostname ‘VIR').

• 5. Both the physical IP are mapped to virtual hostname.

If anyone could help me in this would be of great help.

Thanks,

Vinay

0 Kudos