VMware Cloud Community
mikehalsall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could not execute /usr/sbin/vmware-serverd - vmware-server-console

Hi all - I've got an ESX 3i server that can successfully be managed via the VMware Infrastructure Client running on a Windows box, however can't be managed via vmware-server-console in Ubuntu. When I try to login, I receive: "Unable to connect to the remote host: 510 Could not execute /usr/sbin/vmware-serverd".

However, I do know that the console client is saying something to the server, due to the bad-password test: if I put in a bad password, I do get Login (username/password) incorrect.

Googling didn't provide much help at all - nothing I found was referring to 3i, but only full 2.5x installs.

My current config is: vmware-server-console trying to be run in Ubuntu 8 in Parallels running under OS X connecting to VMware ESX 3i, 3.5.0 build 70348. I am using a bridged networking configuration. I can successfully manage the ESX server via a Windows XP instance running in Parallels.

If VMware had an Infrastructure OS X client, I wouldn't be asking Smiley Wink

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only remote connections that the host allows in 3i are the VI client and the remote CLI which is a PERL based API. 3i does not allow for telnet and putty connections anymore either.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
phenrichs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only remote connections that the host allows in 3i are the VI client and the remote CLI which is a PERL based API. 3i does not allow for telnet and putty connections anymore either.

0 Kudos