VMware Cloud Community
StefanBlaser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Corrupt HP VMware 3i USB Key

Hi all

After some Problems reaching my brand new HP ProLiant ML370 with the VMware Infrastructure Client (Connection errors) i've finally did a "factory reset" on the ESX 3i Local Console.

I think, this was a big mistake, because since then, i got this error message every time i boot:

No boot config file found: -2

boot.cfg: No kernel argument found.

Warning: Bank 2 is corrupt or invalid. Ignoring.

Panic: Bank selection failed.

Do you have a recommendation what to do next? Shall i contact HP to send me a new USB Key? Or is there a way to repair it?

Thank for your tips!

Stefan

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Weir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got the same run around from HP but finally got the recovery CD - not that it worked. Here is a link to that discussion

HP integrated VMware ESX Server 3i - reinstall

You can download the recovery image here

< URL REMOVED>

As noted in the other post - this did not work on my DL580 and I had to use the work around posted.

Remember this is an evaluation copy and you will have to jump through more hoops to get a replacement serial number from HP and then have VMWare register it so you can use it.

Good Luck,

-Jason

Message was edited by: Dave.Mishchenko - URL Removed

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Contact HP for a recovery CD! They' ve supposedly got those, I haven't seen them up for downloading though.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

StefanBlaser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, depping

So it was my fault? I better don't do this again?

And there is no other way to repair this problem? Contacting HP isn't funny sometimes Smiley Happy

Stefan

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Others have had issues with HP USB key (some related to patches) so this isn't necessary something to worry about. What's the exact process that you used to restore to factory defaults?

0 Kudos
StefanBlaser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't remember exactly and the system unfortunately isn't running anymore. But it was something like "Reset Customized Settings" on the local Console Screen.

Thanks for your help!

Stefan

0 Kudos
StefanBlaser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

No ideas for this?

I just called HP to send me a recovery CD, but they don't know about this. They will check it, but you now what this means.

Thanks

Stefan

0 Kudos
Jason_Weir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got the same run around from HP but finally got the recovery CD - not that it worked. Here is a link to that discussion

HP integrated VMware ESX Server 3i - reinstall

You can download the recovery image here

< URL REMOVED>

As noted in the other post - this did not work on my DL580 and I had to use the work around posted.

Remember this is an evaluation copy and you will have to jump through more hoops to get a replacement serial number from HP and then have VMWare register it so you can use it.

Good Luck,

-Jason

Message was edited by: Dave.Mishchenko - URL Removed

0 Kudos
StefanBlaser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

100 points to Jason!

Worked great for me. Booted the Server (ML370 G5) with your HP USB Recovery Image and did a repair of the USB Key. Everything works fine now.

Thanks alot you guys!

Best regards from rainy Switzerland

Stefan

0 Kudos
Jason_Weir
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad it worked... I'm still in a holding pattern with HP and VMWare regarding my license, nevermind I can't get any virtual servers to boot from a CD....

-J

0 Kudos
dnwhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

StefanBlaser:

Did you get your USB replaced and/or fixed. If not, I can help you out rebuilding the key. I have 11 hosts running with HP's USB key, but before we had those, my HP tech provided me with the ISO and the instructions to build a USB key. We needed HP's keys because they have the HP SIM client included.

dnwhittaker

0 Kudos
StefanBlaser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi dnwhittaker

With the ISO I was able to recreate my USB stick just fine. But if you could provide me with the instructions you get from HP, i would be very grateful. Just in case, i'll have this problem again.

Stefan

0 Kudos
rneyland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The factory reset should not have resulted in a corrupt key, but since it has you need to get the HP Recovery CD. To do that contact HP support who can provide you with access to the recovery CD. You boot that CD and it will restore the key to the factory state.

0 Kudos
HenrikA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I have been in contact with HP Support, but so far without any luck.

Do you know if the HP Recovery CD has any product id? It might help get it Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Henrik

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

HP seems to be clueless on how to support the VMware products they sell, such as 3i on their USB keys.

Don Pomeroy

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
dnwhittaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What I've done with troublesome USB keys is to: remove all the partitions from the USB keys (I'm a Windows guy so I did it at my XP workstation using Disk Manager), then reformat the USB key, and then reinstall the OS provided by HP. That has worked for 2 out of 3 USB keys.

We have requested a replacement USB key at least a month ago and still haven't received it.

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, if anyone has the HP part number for this CD it would be very helpfull.

Don Pomeroy

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you looked at using the freeware SelfImage utility () to backup the USB keys? I don't have an HP specific 3i USB key but I do have a generic build of 3i on a USB stick that I keep a master image of via SelfImage so producing new keys is easy. WinImage would probably do it too. Or good old dd on *nix.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
Kirk_Steck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran into the same issue as StefanBlazer i.e.

No boot config file found: -2

boot.cfg: No kernel argument found.

Warning: Bank 2 is corrupt or invalid. Ignoring.

Panic: Bank selection failed.

I have tried to find a USB recovery disk/download via VMWare and HP's site without any luck. I am working with a brand new HP 380 G5 and cannot find anything on the web to fix this failure.

Is there a URL where I can find/download a fix so that my USB key can work again? Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Ted_Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kirk,

Call the support center for your region - list of phone nums at the URL below.

http://support.openview.hp.com/contact_list.jsp

They can supply you with a recovery disk image(ISO) that you can burn to CD.

Boot this CD & it will load a fresh software image onto your USB key.

Ted Wolf

0 Kudos
Ted_Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no physical CD.

You contact support for your region --- phone nums at the URL below

http://support.openview.hp.com/contact_list.jsp

They can supply you with a recovery image you can use to load a fresh SW image onto the USB key

Ted Wolf

0 Kudos