VMware Cloud Community
BDMcGrewVM
Contributor
Contributor

Converting VM's from Server v1.0 to ESXi v3.5 LIVE

I have a VMWare Server v1.0.4 that has two VM's on it. I have a brand new ESXi server that I want to migrate these two VM's onto.

I know that I can shut down the VM's, use the converter and convert them into the ESXi server. I've done this before. Works well.

However, is there any way of converting these two VM's into ESXi while they're live, without shutting them down??? They're both production servers and I can't really afford the downtime.

How can I do this???

-brian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What kind of vm's are they? You should be able to run converter just the same way. You should be able to use the stand-alone converter inside the vm, and convert it live to the ESXi host, or even to a stand-alone set of files, just make sure they are set for ESX compatible. Then transfer those files to your ESX datastore, if they aren't converted directly to ESXi to begin with. From there, it's just a matter of browsing the datastore you put the files in, and right-clicking the vmx file and adding to inventory.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
BDMcGrewVM
Contributor
Contributor

That would work too but I don't really want to install the converter on the VM's unless, during the conversion it automatically uninstalls itself...

My setup is Windows 2003 -> VMWare Server v1.0.4 -> VM's and I want migrate both VM's straight into the ESXi server while their running.

So can I install the converter on the Windows 2003 host and convert the VM files while those VM's are running?

Both of the VM's are Windows 2003 Enterprise (32-bit). I've already got all the RedHat VM's converted.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, converter allows you to convert machines while they are up and running to an ESX host. The free version allows local machines to be sent to ESX, while the enterprise edition allows you to run converter remotely and convert a remote machine directly to ESX.

So, if you have the enterprise converter, you can remotely run it, and point it to a 2003 server. It will install a service, and will send all the data directly to ESX. With the free version, you'll have to install locally, which again should not require a reboot, and send that to ESX.

You will have to get some downtime to transfer the network to the new vm and turn off the old vmware server vm.

-KjB

0 Kudos
BDMcGrewVM
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

-KjB

0 Kudos