VMware Cloud Community
Chaton
Contributor
Contributor

Connection to iSCSI array

Hello everybody,

I have a simple question: in ESXi, i have a problem to join my array and see my LUNs after a rescan.

I have a vswitch0 with the vmkernel management port in 192.168.131.x and I put the vmnetwork port group on this same vswitch with vmnic0.

I created a second vswitch with a vmkernel in 192.168.1.1 attached to the vmnic1. The vmnic1 is attached in direct access to my array controler wich is in 192.168.1.5.

The problem is that after a rescan, i'm not able to see the LUN I created on my array (FORTREND)

In ESXi, do we need to have a management network and a vmkernel network in the same subnet of my array to be able to see my LUNs (I tried, and in fact, it's not possible to create 2 vmkernel in the same subnet) !

Thanks for your answers !

0 Kudos
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you opened the iSCSI port on the firewall? You can do that with the VI Client by going to the configuration tab and enable the iSCSI port -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe "a" console port must be on the same network as the iSCSI host to work correctly. I want to say that it was the exact problem I had a few months ago but its slipped my mind.

So if you have 2 networks, you would have a console port on both, whether or not you actually connect yourself through the console on the iSCSI network.

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

you should have a Service Console created in the same network ,where you have created the vmkernel for iscsi.

Test :ping and vmkping is working ,and try vmkping for iscsi target ip.

-@m!t

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
Chaton
Contributor
Contributor

In ESX i, you don't have service console. You just have by default a vmkernel management port and you can't create a second one as you can do when you create a second service console in ESX version.

Is my vmkernel iscsi enough to make the discover with my array ?

We entered in unsupported mode in ESXi trying the vmkping command line and it works ! Strange, because the rescan doesn't give us the LUNs !

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

have are read of this blog post on the subject

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

ESXi:

vmkping should work for iscsi target.

Check the iqn and iscsi discovery tab also.

-@mit

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
tidup
Contributor
Contributor

hi guys, i work with Chaton on that problem

IQN and iSCSI target are good

On Infortrend Disk Enlosure, I have 2 iSCSI interfaces

One on 192.168.1.5 Direct Acces to vmnic0 connected on vswitch1 and vmkping ok (iSCSI target on this adress)

One on 192.168.131.220 on Network Infrastructure but with 100Mb/s only

When I plug 192.168.131.220 interface, ESXi can see Luns (while iSCSI target only on 192.168.1.5), but traffic is on vmnic1 (100Mb/s) , and very slow

if you want more information, I'm here

0 Kudos
tidup
Contributor
Contributor

Probleme resolve

Luns are mapped on wrong iSCSI controller on disk enclosure

after remapping on the right one, discover works fine

0 Kudos
Chaton
Contributor
Contributor

We made a mistake, the lun's were not affected to the storage processor linked in DAS to our vmkernel, that's why the rescan didn't give anything.

Thank you all for helping us !

0 Kudos