VMware Cloud Community
programmerbob
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to datastores from within an guest os

I'm not sure this is the right forum but I'm installing an xp vm and having some network driver issues, I'd like to put the files onto the datastore.

I know how to upload but I'm not sure if I can access the datastore from within a guest os.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In ESX, you can copy the driver to datastore and mount it with VM Floppy or CD drive. For this the driver should be bundled in .flp or .iso format.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
programmerbob
Contributor
Contributor

I was trying that, when I mount the iso(I used roxio to create it) and try to access it via the cd-rom inside of the windows xp machine it will

say "disk is not formatted" windows cannot read from this disk the disk might be corrupted or it could be using a format that is not compatible with this os"

I actually used this same iso for the network driver previously in vmware workstation.

0 Kudos
zanmk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

So you tried to copy winXP installation CD onto VMFS filesystem and then mount it in VM, right ?

So, if during install process you get an information stating that files are corrupt this suggest that

copy process wasn't somehow successful. Maybe network problems again ?

How did you copy the iso onto VMFS ?

regards

Martin

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What's the driver issue you are facing in Windows VM? I hope, you can resolve such driver issues with the Virtual Machine hardwares by installing VMware tools.

0 Kudos
programmerbob
Contributor
Contributor

The installation of vmware works perfectly fine, it's post install the amd default network card wasn't working at all.

So then I went and did the e1000 hack and that didn't work because I need the drivers to be installed.

0 Kudos