VMware Cloud Community
mdwlucas
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting separate VMs to separate displays

Hi,

We currently have a test network that is simulating a corporate network that we are using to do our research. It consists of 7 PCs, with 5 VMs spread between them. What we are looking at doing is Virtualsing them. What would need to do is have 4 of these VMs connected to individuals displays as we need a GUI to interect with the VMs to do our research. It seems to me that Virtualsing is best for running servers that people interact with over the network (eg HTTP, Database, RDP etc etc), I'm not sure if what we would like to do is even possible. I have done a lot of Googling but haven't found much to help me. Can anyone tell me is what I am proposing is possible (eg connect different VMs to different displays)?

Thanks, Martin.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - tool you use, the VI Client, you can open seperate consoles to each VM simultaneously and be able to manage them from one physical workstation -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
mdwlucas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the response. So if I use the VI client to a single box with say, 4 video cards, would I be able to send the output for each of the 4 VMs that I need to interact with to separate display for each? Otherwise I guess if they all can only go to a single display I might be able to live with that, but would much prefer to have a separate display for each.

I'd certainly like to mark this as helpful, but haven't found out how to do so, so I'll have a poke around and see if I can find out how, I'm a newbie Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Martin.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If the oprating system of the machine you are using can support driving 4 seperate monitors then yes you can have each monitor hold a window that is displaying the remote console for that virtual machine - or you can have a large (20+ in monitor) yoou can have the four windows open simultanaously on a single screen -

0 Kudos
mdwlucas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for that. That answers my question. Just some clarification, to enable this I would have an instance of the VI client running on the display dedicated to each of the VMs, is that correct?

Many thanks,

Martin.

0 Kudos