VMware Cloud Community
terran0925
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Comparing partitions between 2 esx servers

If I'm trying to compare the partitions of 2 ESX servers so I can determine if they were installed identically, what command should I use? I tried fdisk -lu and while it gives me the partition information, it doesn't give me the details I see during the install for /var, /opt, /tmp, etc.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can just run "df" and that will give it in bytes (plenty of numbers for you to count)!

To find the swap partition if you have one run "fdisk -l" OR "fdisk -l | grep swap".

Andy

VCP / vExpert / MCTS

For Help, Guides and How Tos visit

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
anujmodi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Use the df -h command on the root folded to compare the esx servers.

AM,

If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/amodi

Anuj Modi, If you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct. The latest blogs and articles on Virtulization: anujmodi.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
terran0925
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I noticed that df -h does not list the swap partition. Is there a way to list that?

Also, the df -h command rounds the numbers up, is there a switch to get them in bytes? Thanks.

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can just run "df" and that will give it in bytes (plenty of numbers for you to count)!

To find the swap partition if you have one run "fdisk -l" OR "fdisk -l | grep swap".

Andy

VCP / vExpert / MCTS

For Help, Guides and How Tos visit

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

0 Kudos