VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Cloning a Microsoft Windows server

I am not sure this is the right forum for my question. If there is a better forum, please point me to it!.

I am looking for a documentation as complete as possible about the best way to clone a Microsoft Windows Server - mainly based on Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 - in a VMware environment.

Given that cloning a VM is quite easy and you have the necessary Microsoft licenses to run the cloned VM:

• What is the best way to change the SID of the cloned VM, given that the utility NewSID is no more availalbe?
  • If the Windows server is a Domain Controller of its own domain in its own forest (very simple AD structure based on a single DC), what is the best way to rename either the server's host name an the domain name in order to let both servers stay on the same (virtual) LAN?
  • Is there any tool from VMware to assist cloning?
  • Is there any further issue to be aware of?

Regards

marius

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

1. What is the best way to change the SID of the cloned VM, given that the utility NewSID is no more availalbe?
          2. If the Windows server is a Domain Controller of its own domain in its own forest (very simple AD structure based on a single DC), what is the best way to rename either the server's host name an the domain name in order to let both servers stay on the same (virtual) LAN?
          3. Is there any tool from VMware to assist cloning?
          4. Is there any further issue to be aware of?

Answers:

1. During clone wizard there is an option to mark it - Generate new SID
        2. Do you wanna clone your DC ? if yes it's not the best way of create second DC, better to create new VM and add it to AD as  a DC controller
        3. yes, if you have vCenter server in your env. you can do it by right click on VM and clone, if you don't have it you can use VMware converter standalone and do V2V (clone of your VM)
        4. do not clone, susspend, snapshot virtual AD domain controller

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
        MariusRoma
        Expert
        Expert

Thank you for your answer.

1. Do you wanna clone your DC ? if yes it's not the best way of create second DC, better to create new VM and add it to AD as  a DC controller

Unfortunately, I do need to clone a DC...

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
        RParker
        Immortal
        Immortal

Marius - Roma wrote:

Thank you for your answer.

1. Do you wanna clone your DC ? if yes it's not the best way of create second DC, better to create new VM and add it to AD as  a DC controller

Unfortunately, I do need to clone a DC...

Actually you DON'T that's what he is trying to tell you.. you want BEST case or just EASY?  A DC does NOT need to be cloned, and it's BEST if it's NOT cloned.

you do understand that a DC doesn't actually own / have ANY information, right?  So what is the problem with creating a NEW DC, the issue is that a NEW DC is better than cloning an existing one.  You can't have too many DC's..

0 Kudos
        HariKPrasad
        Contributor
        Contributor

Hello Marius - Roma,

Your message about "=?UTF-8?Q?[VI:_VMware_ESXi=E2=84=A2_3.5]_New_message:_"Cloning_a?= =?UTF-8?Q?_Microsoft_Windows_server"_[t6gzsb-dz62-13lo8]?=" was waitlisted.

Please add yourself to my Guest List so your messages will be delivered to my Inbox. Use the link below.

Click here to deliver your message <https://www.boxbe.com/crs?tc=9845283523_1491985397>

Thank you,

harikprasadb@gmail.com

<http://www.boxbe.com/how-it-works?tc=9845283523_1491985397>