VMware Cloud Community
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor

Clone a Vm on single ESX Host

Hello

We have a live system on a single host and I wondered if it's possible to clone a VM while it is on? Does it take long?

How can it be done, so that I have a copy of this machine?

Any help appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To clone a running VM you must be using ESX 3.5 Update 2 and Virtual Center 2.5 Update 2. The time it takes to clone a VM depends on a number of factors such as the size of the VM you are cloning, network and disk I/O etc

0 Kudos
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation!

Is there anything I can do while on a single host for a complete backup or image copy?

Thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

to add even if you do have VC you will not be able to clone while the vm is powered on - the only to make a copy of vm on a single host is by copyin the .vmdk and -flat.vmdk - to a directory and build a new vm but when it comes to the virtual disk use an existing virtual disk - do not forget to sysprep the new vm -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Weinstein...

Can do the following:

shut down the live VM

Copy the VM folder to a backup location

if the live VM was to crash or had any problems, add to inventory the backed up version?

wouls this be ok? or will I have to use a different process for making the backup copy live?

thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That should work - only thing to be aware of is because you have placed the vm on a new datastore the links to the virtual disk will be broken and will need to be fixed following the procedure I outlined-

If you found this helpful please do not forget to award points

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, strangely, I cannot see the button to award points.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

there should be buttons next to each answer saying the answer was helpful or answered your question -

0 Kudos