VMware Cloud Community
tiedeus
Contributor
Contributor

Clone a VM w/out using VC??

I'm trying to figure out a way to clone one virtual machine in ESXi w/out using Virtual Center or any other tool that may require a license. I've built a Windows 2003 Standard Server and I wanted to copy it 4 times for different applications but every copy i've attempted doesn't work. I've tried copying the files from one datastore directory to another one but when you go to power the VM on it fails. I've also tried to use the VMWare VI Toolkit but i'm very unexperienced using any CLI. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

Bit of a quick n dirty way of doing it...

You can log in via VI client.

Create a new virtual machine with no virtual disk.

Browse datastore,

Copy the *.vmdk from the vm you want to clone to the new vm directory.

Add the disk to the vm.

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That will do it but do not forget to sysprep the new 'clone'

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can sysprep or even use a program called changesid and that will work also.

Sorry the program is called newsid not changesid.

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

to add to this

take configured guest, install and run Sysprep and seal.

unregister guest.

copy directory structure to new location, register guest and power on machine, sysprep now runs and you have a new machine from your original complete with new SID, Computer name etc.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
tiedeus
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responses. Using Yattong's advise, then running newsid.exe, the VM copy was successful.

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad newsid came in handy:)

0 Kudos
dowen100
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I've cloned a VM in the same way (Ubuntu on ESXi) but now it wont boot. Any gothcas I should be aware of?

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tequesta
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I use to clone a VM of OpenSUSE, the Virtual Appliance export and import procedure, and the machine go on without problem after a few changes on the clone. I supouse that if you make the same steps and run the sysprep on every new VM, the w2003's clones will go on without problems.

Good luck!

bye

tequesta

(I'm sorry, my english is not good at all)

0 Kudos
geob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could also try using the VMware converter tool for cloning the Windows machines.

0 Kudos